• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a dynamic signature in AE.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create a dynamic signature in AE. I attach two screenshots to give you an idea what I am writing about.

signature.jpg

signature2.jpg

I managed to figure it out last night but when I tried to recreate it (I wanted to expand the signature duration to 5 seconds instead of 3), I wasn't able to recreate the aep file from scratch.

What I do is: 1) New composition. (HDTV). Background color: white. Duration: 5 seconds. Frame rate: 29.97.

2) File: import. I import a white background png image 1920 by 1080px .

3) I activate the Horizontal type tool. For this example, I just type a "P". I set the font to 634px

4) With "P" selected, I go to Layer, then select pre-compose. In the dialog box, I make sure "move all attributes into the new composition" is selected as well as "adjust composition duration to the timespan of the selected layers".

5) Next, I select the brush tool, double click the P Comp 1 layer (see screenshot below). I made sure the brush is very large for my example (60 px) Making sure not to release the left mouse button, I draw over the P.. White is selected as my  brush colour.

after effects cc.jpg

6) Next, I twirl down "P Comp 1" as in the screenshot below.

settings.jpg

7) Next, I activate the stop watch for End. I set the value for the first stop watch at the first frame to 0 and the last stop watch at 4 seconds 29 frames to 100.

And, then is when I run into my problem.

When I run the preview I get this. Screenshot below.

white paint.jpg

The white brush just wipes away my P. I want the opposite effect where the brush reveals my signature (in this case just a "P").

If I set the value of the color to white, I get this:

sig.jpg

Also not what I want.

If I activate "paint on transparent", I get this:

sig2.jpg

With "paint on transparent" still selected, when, I set the color back to white, I get nothing at all, just the white canvas.

What I want is my black brush to paint within the bounds of the "P", nothing beyond it. I have diameter set to 60px in my example.

Any help to solve this problem, greatly appreciated.

Paul Carr

P.S. If anyone wants the AEP file I did last night for 3 seconds duration, I can forward it to you. Perhaps post it here?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

This is a lot easier to do if you use a shape layer path with a stroke as a track matte for the image of a signature. You just add trim paths and animate the speed. The hardest part is using the pen tool to trace over the original signature.

There are dozens of tutorials out there that demonstrate this technique. Unless you are expert with a graphics tablet the pen tool is way easier than trying to get write on to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd use the Write On effect  No brush.  Write On is good for... well, writing things on.  Remember that you'll need to keep in mind pen lifts, crossing t's, dotting i's, and each such segment will require a separate mask.

Changing things is a simple matter of moving keyframes around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Last night, I wasn't using the write on effect. I was able to get it working for a 3 second composition but then I couldn't recreate it for a 5 second composition. I wonder how I can tweak the settings so that it'll work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the method I was attempting last night with the brush would have stretched the dynamic signature automatically over the duration of the composition. The write on effect, as far as I can tell, is more labour intensive. Each keyframe is manually set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to figure out how to do the dynamic signature with brush for a 3 second composition. I guess I should have written the steps down. When I went back later to attempt a 5 second composition, I couldn't recreate my original success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a lot easier to do if you use a shape layer path with a stroke as a track matte for the image of a signature. You just add trim paths and animate the speed. The hardest part is using the pen tool to trace over the original signature.

There are dozens of tutorials out there that demonstrate this technique. Unless you are expert with a graphics tablet the pen tool is way easier than trying to get write on to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines