7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2008 7:37 AM by Rothrock

LoadClip on PC vs. MAC

tatiana1 Level 1
      Hi, I noticed that if I perform a LoadClip of an image, it works on a PC, but not on a MAC. Does anyone know why?
        • 1. Re: LoadClip on PC vs. MAC
          Level 7
          TatianaRusso,

> Hi, I noticed that if I perform a LoadClip of an image, it works
          > on a PC, but not on a MAC. Does anyone know why?

Let's see your code (not sure what a LoadClip is, based on your
          description).

David Stiller
          Adobe Community Expert
          Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: LoadClip on PC vs. MAC
            tatiana1 Level 1
            Here is the code...
            • 3. Re: LoadClip on PC vs. MAC
              tatiana1 Level 1
              Ideas anyone?
              • 4. Re: LoadClip on PC vs. MAC
                Rothrock Level 5
                No reason that shouldn't work on both. How are you testing it? Does it do anything else? Does the whole site even work on the Mac?

Here are the usual things.

One computer has a different version of the plug-in installed.

The HTML code for the web page has different parameters for the parts that do the different operating systems.

Maybe the file name is spelled wrong and for some reason working in one case.

If testing locally some file may not have been copied properly.

Progressive jpegs can cause problems. Is the image saved as a progressive jpeg?

On another note, you don't need the initObject in your createEmptyMovieClip. By default all clips are created at 0,0 and you can't assign a width or height to something that is empty.
                • 5. Re: LoadClip on PC vs. MAC
                  Level 7
                  Rothrock,

> No reason that shouldn't work on both. How are you
                  > testing it? Does it do anything else? Does the whole site
                  > even work on the Mac?

Thanks for following on up this one (and my apologies, tatiana1, for the
                  delayed reply). Rothrock nailed it, as far as I can see. I agree with him
                  that the code looks fine. I wouldn't have even replied, because his
                  follow-up questions are perfect, but I thought I should at least pop in
                  because I left you hanging, a few days back.

David Stiller
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
                  "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 6. Re: LoadClip on PC vs. MAC
                    tatiana1 Level 1
                    Hi Roth and David and thanks for your replies. I'll answer point by point:

1) I have no way of knowing what plugin version the end users' Macs will have. I've tested it on two different Mac's and one image loads, one doesn't. Doesn't the Flash applet automatically prompt you to download the latest version? If so, I saw no such message.

2) There is only one HTML code that loads the Flash movie and then it's the movie that loads all the images. Some images load on the MAC, some don't. I even noticed that one out of ten times the images won't load on the PC either. This only happens when I work locally, while loading the images from the remote server

3) The file name is correct. It works on a PC, but not on a Mac.

4) We were working on the Internet.

5) I didn't create the image so I don't know how it was saved. How can I check to see whether it's a progressive JPG? Would it help if I loaded it into Photoshop and resaved it as NONprogressive?

I'll keep on trying until something happens. Thanks again for your help.
                    • 7. Re: LoadClip on PC vs. MAC
                      Rothrock Level 5
                      From your description it seems like it is either 1 or 5 or a combination of both.

The Flash plug-in doesn't automagically prompt the user to update. It is up to the developer of a Flash page to put some code in the html to detect the Flash version. If you are using Flash CS3 you can go into the publish settings and have Flash detect for a specific version.

If you go to this page, you can see which version of Flash is installed for the browser.

http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/

And yes. You can open images in Photoshop and save them as jpegs and make sure that the box is not ticked for progressive.

The only other thing I can think of is that you might be doing something more than just the code above. In that case perhaps you aren't waiting until after the onLoadInit happens and you are trying to execute some code on the loaded clip before it loads. And you just happen to be getting lucky on the PC side that the clip is ready before the code needs it.