• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

updating photoshop (and illustrator) on new mac

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm updating my iMac to a new iMac and will need to update my Photoshop and Illustrator.

I currently run photoshop CS5 Version12.1 x64 and Illustrator CS5 Version 15.1.0 (I do realize this

is a photoshop forum, but also asking about Illustrator, thanks).

My questions are:

Is it possible to use my current photoshop and illustrator program discs to install on my new computer?

I have the feeling the new method of using these programs is to be on a cloud based subscription and download the programs

for use from the cloud, paying a monthly fee.  Is this correct?

It's been a while since I've updated these programs and I'm not used to the "new" method for installing and using these programs,

so thanks for any help and assistance in bringing me up to date.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

You can still use  your disks to install these versions of your applications (and subsequently check for updates to these versions). The latest versions (CC2015/2017), would be particularly suitable for your retina screen, but are only available on subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can still use  your disks to install these versions of your applications (and subsequently check for updates to these versions). The latest versions (CC2015/2017), would be particularly suitable for your retina screen, but are only available on subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnf53147940  wrote

download the programs for use from the cloud

I suspect Adobe has lost a ton of business because of this silly "cloud" name <hey! let's call it something with cloud in it, that's what everybody's doing these days!>

In reality there's no cloud. The application installs and runs on your machine just like it always has, no change.

The difference is only in the license checks, and the payment method. Yes, you pay per month, and once a month the application calls home to verify that you did so. But if you didn't, perhaps because your Visa card was renewed and you forgot to update your payment info - it will still run for 99 days before shutting down.

It should be said that any which way you do the math, your total cost, if you want the apps to stay up to date, is less than what it would be with a perpetual license. A lot of people can't wrap their heads around that, but it's a fact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, one more thing. This is Apple. That means no guarantees that old software will run without several problems, or run at all. You may have to get on board the upgrade train whether you want it or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines