• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Brush, Pencil, etc. cursors stuck as icons, not usual shapes like circles

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bought a new Dell tower to get more processing power. See specs below. Running Windows 10. Photoshop CS6 (13.0.1 x64). 

All was working well, until last Saturday. Now, in Photoshop, I click on some tools and they displays within my image as an actual icon like to the graphic that appears in its panel. Brush tool displays as Brush, not circle. Sharpen displays in image layer as triangle like panel. Same with Healing Brush, Pencil, Dodge, and Burn. They function normally, such as changing size several ways, including [ - ], drawing, opacity, flow, shape, etc., but difficult to use when cursor is a picture of the tool rather than a circle.. Read many Forums, searches, etc. without finding similar problem.   Out of ideas. Would so appreciate a solution.

This is what I have tried:
Windows System File Checker - all OKWindows Deployment Image Service and Management Tool - All OK

Norton Antivirus = All OK

CC Cleaner - no issues

Malware - All OK

Turned off Sync to Windows OneDrive

Caps lock is NOT on, but I toggled it on and off many times anyway

Reset all tools to Default

Checked graphics/video drivers - all up-to-date

Windows 10 - up-to-date

Photoshop -up-to-date
Adobe Camera Raw - up-to-datePreferences>Cursors> Standard   and Preferences>Other Cursors>Standard. Tried them with every option

Graphics processor - turned on and off several times

Problem same with mouse and pen - unplugged Wacom tablet, no change

Ran Program Compatibility Troubleshooter - OK

Uninstalled Quicktime - no change

Windows  > Workspace > Went back to Essentials> Reset Essentials- no change

Have not deleted and reinstalled Photoshop yet.

Dell Tower Specs

AMD Radeon(TM) RX 480 with 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Memory

BDRE Drive (Reads and Writes to Blu-Ray disks)

6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.2 GHz)

Windows 10 Home-HE (64bit) English

16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory

512GB M.2 Solid State Drive + 2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive

1. 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0

Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro

Wireless 3165 driver

Fixed Hardware Configuration

Windows System SW, XPS 8910

Cyberlink Media Suite Essentials without Media

Image result for image of photoshop brush tool

The tool when it is in my editing layer is an actual  Brush instead of whatever shape I select, either basic or more complex.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Check out your preferences. Command/Control K and go to Cursor. Maybe by mistake got stuck on standard. See enclosed 2 screen shoot. First on is the normal size all tool with have the circle you want. Second one is with standard...will display you graphics symbols.

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 13.21.09.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 13.22.03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out your preferences. Command/Control K and go to Cursor. Maybe by mistake got stuck on standard. See enclosed 2 screen shoot. First on is the normal size all tool with have the circle you want. Second one is with standard...will display you graphics symbols.

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 13.21.09.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 13.22.03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW! So simple. You cannot imagine how much time I spend on this issue. Thought I tried all Cursor settings trying to resolve it.  NOT! Most grateful. You are the best! So surprised this issue was never discovered in all my searches. HAPPY!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got sorted with a cursor preference change, but one thing puzzles me.

You mention Photoshop CS6 (v13.0) but your screenshot of the toolbar with the feather at the top looks like it's from Photoshop CS (v8.0)? No big deal - I was just puzzled

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent eye. I'm sure you are absolutely correct. The screenshot was a Google grab just to illustrate my cursor issue. Not from my screen. Question:When might one use the form of cursor that puzzled me for two days? Had to ask now that I know where to find them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Haha. That explains the "screenshot" .

As far as the alternative icon style cursors , they do give a reminder of what tool you are using, if you are constantly switching with shortcuts. Personally I never use that type - but I suppose it is good to have a choice.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any time! we are here to answer and make everyone happy!!

Chana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines