• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cache over video files, no?

Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking at an upgrade for my aged PC and trying to plan out ssd/hdd setup.

I plan to get an Intel® SSD 600p Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - 1800MB/s

Read & 560MB/s Write as well as a Samsung 850 pro.  I already have 4TB to store files (2 4TB drives in Raid 1).

I believe, if I were to go off of advice seen in other threads, this is what I should do:

Boot/OS = 850 pro

M.2 SSD = Current project files/Cache

Keep HDD RAID 1 as longterm storage.

But what is the point of cache if you have to have your current working files moved to fastest drive?  Isn't the pupose of the cache to make a copy of the file in a format and place that speeds up reading for editing?

In other words, theoretically, couldn't I keep all files on HDD RAID, put cache on M.2, and OS on 850 pro?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the problems with your planned SSD:

1) Despite the NVMe and PCI-e support, the sequential write speed of that SSD is no faster than that of a SATA 6.0 Gbps SSD.

2) Without knowing your particular aged PC, your PC might not have m.2 support at all natively. And if you get a PCI-e adapter card for that SSD, your system's PCI-e slots might be only PCI-e 2.x compliant, which means that you might not achieve anywhere close to even that SSD's rated sequential read speed.

3) If you instead choose to abandon that SSD idea, and instead you choose a SATA 6.0 Gbps SSD, you may find that you don't have any available SATA 6.0 Gbps ports - but instead all of your PC's available SATA ports are only SATA 3.0 Gbps, you will not achieve even the rated sequential speeds of the SSDs themselves (which means that the maximum sequential read and write speeds of any SSDs will be limited to only 270 MB/second even if they are capable of over 500 MB/second).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.  I most certainly need help verifying my hardware before purchase.

While the configuration of my PC will determine whether the above listed hardware will work, I didn't ask about the hardware configuration.  Let's leave that for later.

As the title of the thread lays out, I am asking about cache vs raw files (files from cam).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If it helps, here is the build I am looking at:  http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1JKNET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines