8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2017 11:46 AM by CoryTV

Preview audio from current time

CoryTV

No matter what I do, in the latest AE CC 2017, I cannot preview audio from current time.  If I hit (.) on the num pad, it ALWAYS previews audio from the beginning of the work area. I've scoured the forums, google, and the preferences and I can't find it.. Am I missing something blindingly simple?

• 1. Re: Preview audio from current time
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go into your preview panel and have a look at the settings for previews via the different shortcut options.

• 2. Re: Preview audio from current time

For example, see this image:

numpaddot.jpg

• 3. Re: Preview audio from current time
              CoryTV Level 1

Thank you for so much your help, but that's not quite the answer I'm looking for.

I understand you can change the shortcut for preview. I'm asking 1 very important question:

How do you preview "AUDIO ONLY" from current position. It used to be the "." key on the number pad would do this, but now it ALWAYS goes back to the beginning of the work area, and I don't like having to constantly change the work area for my comp..

• 4. Re: Preview audio from current time

Check the other setting I have circled. You can specify where it does the previews from.

• 5. Re: Preview audio from current time
                  jerryw48492253 Level 1

You're both right!

Today, the way to preview just audio from the current timeline position is to adjust the Preview settings (which can be set to Audio Only). HOWEVER, earlier versions of AE used to have a shortcut key to preview audio from the current timeline position AND maintain your Preview Window settings to, say, preview audio and video in the work area. You could always post a feature request to bring this back, and if you do, I would "me too" it because it was a useful feature.

You might also play around with command-clicking in the numbered part of the timeline, which plays a small sample of the audio at the point the timeline indicator is at. It's not as useful as the old "." key on the number pad though.

• 6. Re: Preview audio from current time

Jerry, I don't understand your post. You can still press . to preview audio only from the current timeline while pressing 0 can preview the  work area and spacebar can preview from the current timeline. Of course, you can change these settings, but that's the default.

• 7. Re: Preview audio from current time
                      jerryw48492253 Level 1

Szalam — right you are. It seems I remember the “.” key NOT playing back the audio, but the work area. I guess maybe the workstation I was on had the Video Preview set to the”.” key and I thought the feature had gone bye-bye.

• 8. Re: Preview audio from current time
                        CoryTV Level 1

I just upgraded to 14.2 and did not migrate settings. the "." command started working again.

I really did look through all the settings for anything that seemed remotely relevant and couldn't find anything... Anyway, for anyone from the future who needs help if they come across this issue.

It DEFINITELY was not working right earlier-- would only preview from beginning of work area with numpad '.' Tried ALL options in the preview pane, as well as combing all settings menus.