17 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2017 9:23 AM by MadilynRose

Unable To Share Or Save To Camera Roll

2oh1 Level 1

I'm baffled. Please help!

When I try to save certain images in LR Mobile to my camera roll, LR Mobile says "Allow access to camera roll." I click OK, but nothing happens. The photo doesn't get saved to the camera roll.  If I go back to the photo in LR Mobile and try again, I'll get that popup again asking me to allow access to the camera roll even though I just clicked OK!  Fine.  I click OK again and nothing happens, again.

If I go into iOS settings > privacy > photos, I see that Lightroom already has permission, so clearly something is wrong here.

The same thing happens if I try to share the image or open it in another app, like Instagram. I'll click share, choose a size, choose Instagram... and nothing happens. I'm taken back to the photo in LR.

I don't remember when saving and sharing stopped working for me, but it's been broken for a while and I'd really like to fix it.

Keep in mind, this doesn't seem to happen with every image in LR Mobile - only some of them.

Obviously, I've tried restarting my device and I've tried deleting LR Mobile and installing it again.

What else can I try to fix this?

IMG_1844.PNG

• 1. Re: Unable To Share Or Save To Camera Roll
          greule Adobe Employee

Have you tried to give Lightroom access to the camera roll under iOS settings->Privacy->Photos. After that you should be able so save.

Hope that helps.

Guido

• 2. Re: Unable To Share Or Save To Camera Roll
            2oh1 Level 1

I literally said above that I went into iOS settings > Privacy > Photos to make sure Lightroom has access to my photos.  It does.  I assume you only read the title, which is kind of frustrating.

LR Mobile has been given access to my camera roll.  Sometimes saving works.  More often, it doesn't.  But this isn't just about saving.  I can't share photos from LR Mobile with apps like Instagram even though I used to be able to (I used to do this all the time), and LR Mobile can't share with Airdrop.  My icon for my Mac shows up, but when I click it, it says Failed in red letters.  Then I'll try again with a different photo and it'll work.

• 3. Re: Unable To Share Or Save To Camera Roll
              greule Adobe Employee

Do you still see the "Allow access to the camera" alert. If not what failure message did you get when Instagram share failed?

• 4. Re: Unable To Share Or Save To Camera Roll
                2oh1 Level 1

IMG_1853.PNG

IMG_1854.PNG

When I try to import a photo into Instagram, I don't get a failure message.

I open an image in LR Mobile.  I click the share icon, then click 'share' with the gear icon.  I choose a size to share and then I choose Instagram...  but instead of being taken to Instagram, I'm taken back to the photo in LR Mobile because nothing happened.

If I try again, but this time, I try to share via Airdrop, this happens:

IMG_1858.PNG

FAILED.

...the question is, WHY?

• 5. Re: Unable To Share Or Save To Camera Roll
                  2oh1 Level 1

Oh...  and here's proof that I'm still seeing the "Allow access to the camera" alert.

Let's do it again.  Open the image, click the share icon.  Click Save to camera roll:

IMG_1859.PNG

Next, I click the size I want (but it won't matter which size I choose).

IMG_1861.PNG

You've already seen above that LR Mobile has access to my camera roll.

But it's not just the camera roll.

I can't share the image from LR Mobile, with Instagram for example.  And I can't share it with Airdrop.

Something is going wrong here.  I'm not the first to experience this either.  A google search shows others have, but I haven't been able to find solutions.

I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus with the latest version of iOS (10.2.1), but I think I've been experiencing this since before this latest iOS update.

• 6. Re: Unable To Share Or Save To Camera Roll
                    greule Adobe Employee

Have you tried to force quit Lr Mobile to see if a restart helps. Or even a restart of your device. Did I get it right that e.g. AirDrop sharing via photos app works for you?

• 7. Re: Unable To Share Or Save To Camera Roll
                      2oh1 Level 1

"Did I get it right that e.g. AirDrop sharing via photos app works for you?"

AirDrop via the Photos app works for me, otherwise I couldn't have shared the images above.  AirDrop via Lightroom Mobile fails for me, as seen from one of the images above.  The images above were captured using screen-captures (pressing the home button and power button at the same time).

"Have you tried to force quit Lr Mobile to see if a restart helps."

Yes.

And I've tried restarting my iPhone.

And I've tried deleting LR Mobile and reinstalling it.  And I've tried deleting LR Mobile, restarting my iPhone, and then reinstalling LR Mobile.

Again, to be crystal clear here...  some photos in LR Mobile can be shared/saved/etc, but others can't.  More often than not, LR Mobile can't save/share images.  And I have no idea why.

• 8. Re: Unable To Share Or Save To Camera Roll
                        greule Adobe Employee

When you say some can be shared/saved etc and others are not it would be interesting to know if you can always share e.g. local imported photos from the camera roll but not synced raws from LrD e.g., or local imported photos created by another app etc ...Does it make a difference when you turn off "Load Full Resolution" from the Lr Mobile settings? When you have identified a photo which always fails, could you add this photo to a collection eg. named "for debug" so that I can have a look at the server-side. - Guido

• 9. Re: Unable To Share Or Save To Camera Roll
                          2oh1 Level 1

I don't ever import photos from the camera roll into Lightroom.  I'm a photographer.  I import photos from an SD card into Lightroom on my Mac and then sync to LR Mobile.  99% of the time, I've been importing jpegs, not RAW (partly because I only started using Lightroom this past year).

"Does it make a difference when you turn off "Load Full Resolution" from the Lr Mobile settings?"

I don't know, since this problem doesn't affect all photos.  It seems to only affect some, and I have no idea why.  Is there a way to force LR Mobile to reload all images from scratch - or, in other words, re-sync everything?  I ask because I can flip that toggle to load full resolution, but I still find myself with images (some, not all) which cannot be saved or shared from LR Mobile.

Here's an image I can share.  I'm doing this now...

IMG_1884.PNG

And here's an image I can't share.  Again, I'm doing this now.  It asks me to give access to my camera roll even though I just shared another image to my camera roll, thus proving LR Mobile has ******** access.  But, fine.  I press OK, and nothing happens.

IMG_1882.PNG

Do a search through the forum here and you'll see that I'm not the first to find this error, but other threads went unanswered.

• 10. Re: Unable To Share Or Save To Camera Roll
                            2oh1 Level 1

"When you have identified a photo which always fails, could you add this photo to a collection eg. named "for debug" so that I can have a look at the server-side. - Guido"

Do you mean "move to" or "copy to" ...?  I don't see an option in LR Mobile to "add to"  ...It'd be helpful if you clearly explained what you want me to do.  I'll do it.

• 11. Re: Unable To Share Or Save To Camera Roll
                              greule Adobe Employee

Just copy the photo which to a collection named "for debug" .

• 12. Re: Unable To Share Or Save To Camera Roll
                                2oh1 Level 1

Gotcha!  I've done that.  The photo in question (which can't be shared or saved) is in a new collection titled "for debug"  ...what's next?

• 13. Re: Unable To Share Or Save To Camera Roll
                                  2oh1 Level 1

Why was this question marked as "Answered" ...?  It's definitely not answered yet, though I'm hoping it will be.  My question has been replied to, and I'm thankful for that, but the problem still exists - unsolved.  I have photos in LR Mobile that cannot be shared or saved, but others can be.  Something's definitely wrong here...  but what?  I hope we find out.

• 14. Re: Unable To Share Or Save To Camera Roll
                                    greule Adobe Employee

Ah. I see. You should avoid the "?" within the file name. Could you give it a try without using a question mark within the file name.

Hope this helps. - Guido

• 15. Re: Unable To Share Or Save To Camera Roll
                                      2oh1 Level 1

OK, it does appear that question marks are the issue.  Now that we've found that bug, can we get it fixed?  I wonder what other punctuation LR Mobile doesn't like?  I'll have to do some experimenting to see if I can figure it out.  (EDIT: I didn't find anything else, but I only tested punctuation that I've used in photos synced with LR Mobile, so there could be something I didn't find).

Is there an easy way in Lightroom for Mac to find & remove all question marks from file names?

For the record, in case anybody sees this comment and wonders why in the heck I'd use punctuation in titles (which ended up getting converted into file names at some point), I've been using complete sentences as photo titles for over a decade.

• 16. Re: Unable To Share Or Save To Camera Roll
                                        MadilynRose

I am having the same problem and I have no punctuation in my images.

• 17. Re: Unable To Share Or Save To Camera Roll
                                          MadilynRose Level 1

Wait, apparently I have a semicolon in there, so I will remove and hope for the best. So frustrating, it shouldnt matter.