4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2017 10:27 AM by pixxxel schubser

Script : Save Illustrator CC to CS6

simon.chasseloup

Hello, I am really beginner in the use of scripts in illustrator so I try my luck here!

I'm looking for a batch action script that would save my Illustrator CC files to Illustrator CS6, with a suffix on the file name: "-CS6". This would give "date-name-version-CS6". How can I do this? Thank you for your answers !

• 1. Re: Script : Save Illustrator CC to CS6
          zertle Level 2

Hey!

You can save the current document with something like this:

var doc = app.activeDocument;  // get a reference to the current active document

var filename = doc.fullName;   // get the full name and path of the file
          filename = filename.substr( 0, filename.lastIndexOf( '.' ) );   // strip off the file ending, assumes that the filename has an extension at the end
          filename += "-CS6.ai"   // append "-CS6" to the end of the name

var saveOpts = new IllustratorSaveOptions();
          saveOpts.compatibility = Compatibility.ILLUSTRATOR16;  // specify AI version number

doc.saveAs( filename, saveOpts );   // save out the file to the new path with the specified save options

doc.close();  // close the file

You'll still need to loop through all the files, here's some documentation on loops.

Also! Note that this script assumes that the file will already have an extension, so it's "fullName" property would be something like

"~/Documents/myFile.ai"

in this case it has to strip the ".ai" off before it can add the "-CS6".  If it hasn't been saved yet, then I think you should be able to just comment out line 4.

Good luck!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Script : Save Illustrator CC to CS6
            simon.chasseloup Level 1

Whaouw, thanks ! I'll try your code asap !

• 3. Re: Script : Save Illustrator CC to CS6
              simon.chasseloup Level 1

Capture.PNG

Apparently it doesn't work cause of an error line 4. The document has been already saved into CC version, is that the cause?

• 4. Re: Script : Save Illustrator CC to CS6
                pixxxel schubser Level 5

Hi simon.chasseloup,

there are several ways to do this.

One simple way:

Replace this line

with this

var filename = doc.fullName.toString();   // get the full name and path of the file  

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Or you can replace this part (of the code written by zertle)

filename = filename.substr( 0, filename.lastIndexOf( '.' ) );   // strip off the file ending, assumes that the filename has an extension at the end
                filename += "-CS6.ai"   // append "-CS6" to the end of the name

with this part

var filename = doc.name;   // get the name of the file
                var filepath = doc.path;   // get the path of the file
                filename = filename.replace( /\.(ai)?$/, "-CS6.ai" );   // replace ".ai" with "-CS6.ai" at the end of the name
                filename = filepath+"/"+filename; // set the full name and path of the file

Or, or, or …

Have fun

1 person found this helpful