Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Variables list attached to (contained in) Book

Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, Oh Please!!!!!
Why is there not the capacity to have a book-wide variables list? That is, why not have variables contained/defined in the Book file. When working with very large books comprised of many chapter files, having the variables list defined on a chapter file basis is a giant PITA! If I want to add or modify or remove a variable on a book-wide basis, I have to go through 20+ chapter files. It is SO VERY EASY to get chapter files in a book out of sync variable wise. Over the course of years, and half a dozen revisions, and multiple authors touching each chapter file, the variables lists become a freaking MESS! Old, residual junk in one file, not in another. Variable definitions changed in one file but not in another.

There MUST be a way! (I can think of several - like have a variables list in each file, but if you are working with a book, create a composite/master list from each file in the book and attach it to the book file). Not rocket science.

This file-by-file variable list business is a really Enthusiasm-for-FrameMaker Killer.

(Does anybody from Adobe even read these comments?)

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should re-iterate this feature request in the [new] official database for bugs & feature requests: https://tracker.adobe.com/#/home​

[More chance of it being seen and acted upon - especially if a number of users vote on it!]

FWIW, there is a third-party utility for this feature available from Leximation called BookVars. See: http://leximation.com/tools/info/bookvars.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>You should re-iterate this feature request in the [new] official database for bugs & feature requests:

Done. Thanks for the pointer.

And I'm checking out that utility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines