3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2017 11:31 AM by BarbBinder

Objects changing size during placing if mouse is moving.

damond76037267

When placing an object using control D (or place from the file menu) if the mouse is not held perfectly still Indesign creates a new bounding box for the object and places it in that box scaled to fit. The net effect being that if I am trying to place a business card sized PDF into Indesign and don't have the mouse perfectly still when I left click the art drops in at a very small size (however much the cursor moved while dropping) and I have to undo and redo this action.

Not the end of the world but really annoying working in pre-press and placing hundreds of object onto grids on a daily basis. Is there a way to shut this feature off? Usual google search and perusal of Adobe forums is yielding no results.

Thanks,
      Damon

• 1. Re: Objects changing size during placing if mouse is moving.
          BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

InDesign thinks you are holding down the mouse and dragging out a frame, which is a feature.

It sounds like an issue with your mouse: is it a new mouse? is the driver up to date? is it an apple magic mouse?

• 2. Re: Objects changing size during placing if mouse is moving.
            damond76037267 Level 1

No, It is the same mouse I've been using for two and a half years. Running a windows 7 machine so no, not a magic mouse. Device manager scanned for new drivers and found it was up to date.

We recently upgraded from CS3 to Cloud, which is when it started happening. As I suspected it is an added feature, I was hoping there was a way to toggle it off is all.

It overrides the crop to settings under Show Import Options, kinda defeating the purpose of having that option.

I do a lot of placing and I do it very fast, it would make my life easier if this could be turned off. I take it since you represent Adobe as far as you know it cannot be turned off?

Thanks,
            Damon

• 3. Re: Objects changing size during placing if mouse is moving.
              BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

I do a lot of placing and I do it very fast, it would make my life easier if this could be turned off. I take it since you represent Adobe as far as you know it cannot be turned off?

No, I don't represent Adobe. This is a user-to-user forum, and I'm a user like you. I can tell you that I have used (and taught) every version of InDesign and have never observed this behavior of dragging out a small graphics frame when you intend to click. That't why I'm suspecting the mouse. What if you change ports? Try a difference mouse?

We recently upgraded from CS3 to Cloud

What cloud version are you on? Is it CC 2017? Is Service Pack 1 installed for Win7?