• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Single Master LRCAT file filling main computer disk

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am recently back from a trip.  Typically, while in country I offload raw images from Sd to an external drive for backup.  When I get home I then upload those to a 12 TB NAS.  It if from there that I import the files into LR to work on.  I have only ever used a single master LRCat file (for many years of image imports).  Following my recent trip after importing and starting to work on the new images, i am finding that the computer (laptop) containing LR and the LR catalog file is very low on disk space.

To resolve, my first thought was to copy the LRCAT file to my NAS where i have lots of available diskspace.  However as i have learned this is not a supported option with LR.  I have spent a great deal of time over the last few days cleaning up my disk to free enough space allowing me to continue processing files, however I believe it will only be a matter of time before i am faced with the issue again.

- Are there limitations within LR wrt the size an LRCAT file can grow and or the number of images which can be managed? If so what are the limitations? 

- Have others faced this issue and are there suggestions wrt a alternative approaches to a single LRCAT file?  The obvious one would be to manage individual LRCAT files following each shoot.  However this to pose other questions and challenges.

- Is there any chance network drive support could be added in the future?

Thanks in advance.

Mike M.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

You could consider putting your catalog, previews and other associated files on another external hard drive that is connected to your computer. The images could remain on the NAS drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike.

How much space do have left on your primary disk where the  catalog is located? How large is your catalog and the previews Folder. See Reclaiming Hard Drive Space from Lightroom | Laura Shoe's Lightroom Training, Tutorials and Tips

Take a look at this article fo suggestions to free up space in Primary drive freeing up space in lightroom?

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could consider putting your catalog, previews and other associated files on another external hard drive that is connected to your computer. The images could remain on the NAS drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines