• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Acrobat DC crash after scanning a document?

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently bought Acrobat DC.  Lately, after scanning a document to create a pdf, the application wants to close before I can save the document.

[Moved from the forum Lounge to an Acrobat-specific, support forum - moderator]

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi notleym96439296,

Sorry for the delay in response. And I hope you have got a solution to this problem already.

You may try below-mentioned steps.

• Check for pending update. Launch Acrobat>Help>Check for updates.
  • Help>Menu>Repair installation. Restart the machine and try again.
  • Check with the scanner vendor if that have latest driver software to update.
  • If the above doesn't help. Try to enable a new admin user for testing purposes and try again.

Let us know if any helps

-Tariq Dar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar issue, but my problem seems to happen mostly when I'm adding a scan to an existing PDF.

Changing to different user worked, and the scan completed quickly (it seems to take several seconds to complete if it completes without crashing on the original user account).

So what steps should I take to get it to work on the account I use daily?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Repairing the program did not work for me. I am using a Brother MFC-J6910DW. I have been using Acrobat to scan with it for years. The problem started a couple of months ago. I don't have this problem on other computers in the office using this same scanner.

This is a big problem for my workflow.

Acrobat Pro DC version is 17.012.20098

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been going on for six months now. What is the fix, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

The latest update has been released for both Acrobat and Reader: Overview — Acrobat and Adobe Reader Release Notes

Please try installing the update and let us know the behaviour.

-Tariq Dar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Acrobat DC (18.011.20038) and it continues to crash during scans with my Brother MFC-J6935DW. Occasionally after three or four tries it doesn't crash.....Please fix this!! I'm on my second Brother printer and your software still does not function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please try a workaround. Scan from different path:

Tools> Create PDF> Scanner

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg...I have been working on this same issue trying to incorporate everything shared in the forum.  I had the problem several months ago, and the different path you suggested worked better but did not eliminate the problem.  Now, that path is not working at all.  I use Acrobat Pro DC and pay a healthy monthly subscription for Creative Cloud application access.  Who can I speak with about what appears to be a major issue...not being able to use what's part of my subscription?  Thanks.  Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ken,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. As per the description above, Acrobat DC is crashing while scanning a PDF via scanner, Is that correct?

Please check for any pending updates of Acrobat from help>check for updates, reboot the machine after installing the updates and see if this brings any difference.

Please refer and try troubleshooting steps from the following Adobe article Troubleshooting tips for scanner issues when using Acrobat

If the issue persists, please help us with the crash logs of Acrobat, to collect the crash logs please follow the steps:

1. Create a folder “C:\temp”
  2. Download and extract Shared Files - Acrobat.com to C:\temp.
  3. Make sure no Acrobat instances are already running -- check via Task Manager.
  4. Launch Acrobat
  5. Launch CMD prompt and type "cd c:\temp"
  6. On the Command Prompt type: "procdump -e -ma Acrobat.exe c:\temp\01.dmp". Procdump will now wait for the crash to happen.
  7. Perform the actions in Acrobat that cause it to crash.
  8. Procdump will have created c:\temp\01.dmp. Share the file.
  9. You may upload the logs to Adobe Send and share the link with us via email (Forum Private message *): How to share a file using Adobe Document Cloud

Also, help us with below information.

1.     Operating system name and version.
  2.     Scanner make and model.
  3.     Driver version installed for Scanner?
  4.     Have you tried checking this issue with a new user account? If not, try it.
  5.     The current version of Acrobat installed: Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Please send us the details via private message only, How Do I Send Private Message

Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Identical problem, Canon DR-2850C scanner which works fine with Acrobat Pro X.

A few days ago I installed the trial version of Acrobat Pro DC. I have the same problem, which can be reproduced as follows:

1. Open Acrobat Pro DC

2. File, Create, PDF from Scanner; Canon DR-2580C TWAIN is already selected, as a custom scan settings.

3. Press "Scan" button.

4. One or more pages scan successfully, and OCR takes place to searchable image (exact).

5. Just as the last "Optimizing" dialog closes, Acrobat crashes, and Windows gives the "Adobe Acrobat DC has stopped working" message.

6. The scanned file is lost, and cannot be recovered the next time Acrobat is started.

I have tried rebooting, and repairing the installation via Windows Control Panel, Programs and Features - no change.

I have created and tried to upload the dump file (300 Mb) as per the instructions above, but the file will not upload into Adobe Cloud (gives the red warning triangle and the message "Unable to upload some files"). I can provide the dump file another way if desired. Other information has been sent to AnandSri via PM.

Scanning and OCR is 90% of why I use Acrobat, so if this cannot be resolved, I will cancel my trial of Acrobat Pro DC and return to using Acrobat Pro X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Zaniwoop,

I am sorry for the trouble you had and for the delayed response. What is the dot version of Acrobat installed? To identify, refer to Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Make sure you have the latest version of Acrobat 19.008.20080 installed.

I have sent you a direct message with the instructions to share the log files, please check your inbox.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue is not resolved.  Case # 0189517951 is still open.

When I try to scan a document, Acrobat DC stops working and closes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AnandSri,

Because I had both Acrobat Pro X and Acrobat Pro DC installed on the same machine, I suspected that the problem might be some sort of clash between the two versions. So I finally did a complete uninstallation of both Pro X and Pro DC, and cleaned the registry of all references to Acrobat.

Then I did a clean install of Pro DC, and updated it to the latest update - 2019.008.20080.

The problem persists - Open Acrobat, File, Create PDF from scanner, Scan - scan occurs, OCR and optimisation occurs and then Acrobat crashes before the file has been saved.

Will send dump files ASAP - short of time just now.

Zaniwoop / John Kelman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anand Sri,

The crash is still occurring, but I am unable to create the dmp file. When I run the procdump utility (with Acrobat not running, and under both normal or administrator privileges), it returns an error message as follows:

=============================================================

C:\Temp\Adobe>procdump -e -ma Acrobat.exe c:\temp\adobe\01.dmp

ProcDump v9.0 - Sysinternals process dump utility

Copyright (C) 2009-2017 Mark Russinovich and Andrew Richards

Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

No process matching the specified name can be found.

Try elevating the command prompt or using PsExec to make one as SYSTEM.

psexec.exe -s -d -i cmd.exe

procdump.exe -accepteula ...

C:\Temp\Adobe>

=============================================================

So I have shared the original dmp file from my first test on dropbox, and sent the link and share to [Email removed by Mod]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to have Adobe running first before running the procdump capture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This STILL crashes per my posts above. I am using Acrobat Pro DC Continuous Release Version 2019.010.20069.

PLEASE FIX IT. This has been going on for YEARS now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your workaround crashes as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Notleym,

Please share:

1) Acrobat version

2) Scanner details

3) Scan settings used

4) Crash dump

5) Is the scanner working fine with other applications?

To create logs please follow these steps.

1.            Retry the scenario where Acrobat crashes

2.            Do not close the pop-up when Acrobat crash

3.            Open Task manager

4.            Right click on “Acrobat.exe *32” process and select ‘Create Dump file’

5.            It will create a log file in temp folder. (Path will be displayed on pop-up comes when logs

created). You can also check this under

a.            Open Run process (Win+R)

b.            Type %temp%

c.             Logs file will be available here with name Acrobat.DMP

Steps to share the file using Adobe send

Share the file using https://cloud.acrobat.com/send

a.            Open this link

b.            Click on “Select files to Send”

c.             Click link "Select file from my computer" and Select the file

d.            Click on Create link

e.            Share this link

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shared Files - Acrobat.com

I have the same issue, happens quite often:

Dell Optiplex 9010 8 GB RAM

Acrobat Version:17.009.20058.37826

Scanner: Brother MFC-9970CDW using the TW-Brother MFC-9970CDW LAN

BW scan, front sides, 300dpi letter size, Optimize Image: NO, smaller size, create New PDF, OCR: NO, Metadata: NO, PDF/A-1b compliant: NO

Does not crash ALL the time but does quite frequently

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Risharma, here is a link to my dump file.

Shared Files - Acrobat.com

Repairing the program did not work for me. I am using a Brother MFC-J6910DW. I have been using Acrobat to scan with it for years. The problem started a couple of months ago. I don't have this problem on other computers in the office using this same scanner.

This is a big problem for my workflow.

Acrobat Pro DC version is 17.012.20098

Windows 10 64 bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "pop up" after Acrobat DC Pro crashes. There is no longer a process to right-click on for a dump file in the task manager. I don't see a dump file in C:\Users\DEREKR~1\AppData\Local\Temp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been battling this for 8 months.

Tech support will make some changes, then wipe and reinstall and its good for a few weeks then progressively gets worse.

After scanning the last page the app goes grey and a window pops up and I have to start all over.

W7 Pro, Acrobat DC, on server domain with lots of memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same multifunction scanner as Derek Rubinoff (Brother MFC-J6710DW) and am having the same problem - when I run a scan, Adobe immediately crashes before I have a chance to save the file.  Very frustrating.   Was this ever fixed? I am on Windows 10 and running Adobe Acrobat DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Can you please share the crash logs and other information mentioned above.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines