0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2017 12:13 PM by GeoTav

Speeding Up iMac using Mac Pro

GeoTav Level 1

Hello everyone

First of all, I'd like to thank you for taking the time read this and any input is helpful for me.

I'm an editor using Premiere CC 2017 and I'm lucky enough to work in a company that has a couple of iMacs spare. I was using an iMac with the below spec:

OS X El Capitan

Version 10.11.6

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

Processor 3.5GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Which has been great because of the ability to use CUDA when rendering/exporting.

Whilst using the above iMac to export queued videos (AME), there were a few issues on the screen where the pixels seemed to be in the incorrect place https://uploadpie.com/pjXZPP . So instead, I have been working on the below iMac:

OS X Yosemite

Version 10.10.5

iMac (Retina 5k, 27-inch, Late 2014)

Processor 4 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB

Although this doesn't have the NVIDIA CUDA capability, it can still export but only one at a time (instead of queued) and using the Software Renderer, rather than OpenCL, which takes a long time when exporting a video that's over 2 hours long.

The IT guys have sent us a Mac Pro and a 6TB Promise Raid external Hard Drive with a few Thunderbolt leads.

We have no monitor to see the Mac Pro but I think there's a way to access the Mac Pro through the Thunderbolt lead or through an Ethernet cable on the iMacs?

I'm not sure what the specs are for the Mac Pro and I'll let you know once we've figured a way to find them out.

**My ultimate question is - is there a way to speed up Rendering/Exporting times using these two or three Macs and the Promise Raid and some Thunderbolt leads and how do I configure this to all work together? Is there additional software that I need to install?**

I think in After Effects, you can set up a Render Brain/Farm using external machines (I have no idea how) and I'm also looking for a solution for Premiere Pro rather than After Effects.

Any suggestions are welcome (apart from selling all the equipment and buying a better machine =p ) and I'll be grateful for any help.

Thank you in advance.

All the best

George

[Moderator note: moved to appropriate forum]