11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2017 6:23 AM by Paul Chadha

import PDF, retain format, and edit?

anita1390 Level 2

I have read old info on third party plug ins -- several years old -- and it seems I'm not able to retain formatting.  Can anyone recommend importing while retaining PDF formatting within ID? Or even Adobe Illustrator?

• 1. Re: import PDF, retain format, and edit?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Converting a PDF to InDesign is like putting an egg back in the shell after making an omelet. If you’re expecting some magic solution, you’re going to be waiting for a long, long time.

• 2. Re: import PDF, retain format, and edit?
            Migintosh Level 4

I'm not sure if you are asking if you can:

1. Place a PDF and edit it on an InDesign page (the way you would edit a normal InDesign page).
            2. Convert a PDF to an InDesign page.

The answer to #1 is no, and for #2, you have to buy something like PDF2ID, and expect to do either a little or a lot of tweaking it to make it work. Also, you would need to already have (or probably buy) the fonts that the original designer used to make the PDF.

• 3. Re: import PDF, retain format, and edit?
              anita1390 Level 2

Hi, I was asking about the second option. I've heard of PDF2ID and was hoping ID moved that function into  their program, maybe with some improvements. Thanks for your response.  Ha, having the fonts is the easy part

• 4. Re: import PDF, retain format, and edit?
                Migintosh Level 4

I don't have the latest version, so I can't say for sure, but I doubt it. PDF2ID might have a free trial if you want to check it out. I've never tried it, so I can't say how good it is, but I imagine it's better now than it was when it was first introduced.

• 5. Re: import PDF, retain format, and edit?
                  Paul Chadha Level 1

Hello -

I represent Recosoft the creators of PDF2ID; the latest edition is PDF2ID v4.6 and it supports InDesign CC through CC 2017 on both the Mac and Windows platforms; you can obtain a trial version (limited in conversion) after filling in a simple form. PDF2ID has gone through a lot of iterations and the latest version we have is very different than the initial v1.0 release made in 2007. Its advanced quite a bit.

In addition to converting the PDF to InDesign into an editable InDesign file maintaining the layout, it will auto-create layers (separates the text, graphics and tables into layers), structures your image assets into folders that are linked backed properly and will do a lot more (recovers bookmarks, page transitions, annotations). We even (for the Japanese edition) built in Vertical Text support and Japanese typographic handling. So please go ahead and give the trial a spin. PDF2ID is constantly enhanced.

• 6. Re: import PDF, retain format, and edit?
                    Eternal Warrior Adobe Community Professional

anita1390 -

What exactly do you need to do to the PDF by the way? I can see you have an answer that is marked as correct but depending on what you actually need I would have suggested that you may have found it easier to avoid InDesign all together and instead edit the PDF using Acrobat Pro/DC.

There are many fantastic features in Acrobat DC for example that allow you to very very easily make alterations to a PDF without ever having to use another programme.

If you wanted to completely redesign the document however I would have understood the fuss about importing to InDesign... However the fact that you want to retain the formatting etc suggests otherwise.

All the best,

EW

• 7. Re: import PDF, retain format, and edit?
                      anita1390 Level 2

Eternal Warrior,

It's a 36 page document -- I can edit minor changes in Acrobat, but what if the pages reflow... and I need to update footer/folio section globally. 

It seems the paid for plug in, PDF2ID, is the best option. But with all the Adobe programs I can't help but think Adobe has a way to do this. Especially that the PDF originated as an Adobe format.

- Anita

• 8. Re: import PDF, retain format, and edit?
                        BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It doesn’t matter where the PDF came from unless it was Illustrator saved with AI editing capability.

You could open it in Acrobat and save as Word then place that in InDesign.

But there’s nothing magical about any of this. Without the original source documents you have work to do.

• 9. Re: import PDF, retain format, and edit?

I agree with BobLevine.

This is a lot of work...

However I should point out that typically speaking text doesn't reflow in Acrobat... You can edit what is already on a page but unless you use InDesign or Word it will still be on "That page".

You may have more difficulty if you want to redo the table of contents however there is a work around here: Is there easy way to print bookmarks Acrobat Pro 9.5

However depends if you plan to just chop more pages into the PDF in future or use InDesign etc to completely restructure it.

In addition you can easily change the global header/footer if needed: Add headers, footers, and Bates numbering to PDFs, Adobe Acrobat.

All the best,

EW

• 10. Re: import PDF, retain format, and edit?
                            Paul Chadha Level 1

Again, I am from Recosoft the creator of PDF2ID and would like to add some more input. For simple retouch on a PDF, I couldn't agree more that Acrobat DC is the way (or use PitStop). But the point of converting directly from PDF to InDesign using a tool like PDF2ID has so many advantages which many of you may not be aware of:

A. Your asset base is directly in InDesign including Text, Tables, and Graphics (all native InDesign properties). Which means it can be reused and republished to whatever format InDesign can (imagine you have to localize the data to some other language or share the asset base with another project).

B. PDF2ID will honor all color spaces (CMYK, Lab, RGB) - for all objects (Vector, Text, Images). It will even restore the device profiles of the images (so you don't lose the device profile of the image).

C. All clipping paths, transparencies, high level properties such as drop shadows and other advanced properties are restored.

D. Auto-layering (PDF2ID automatically generates an extremely well defined and structured InDesign file)

E. Bookmark, Annotations, Hyperlinks and PDF Transitions are restored (interactivity).

I can list more but the point is you are getting the best possible fidelity with minimal loss. I hope the above makes it even more clear why for maximum flexibility and preservation you would want to have your asset base in InDesign. Acrobat DC is a fantastic tool for the purpose it serves; but InDesign is the best solution (in our opinion) for maintaining the content and being able to publish anywhere (almost).

• 11. Re: import PDF, retain format, and edit?

Just to clarify. By page reflow I understood this to mean after adding more text to pages not just adding another page in.

I was tempted to edit my post to reflect this but either way the point and my possible solutions still stand.