7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2017 8:35 PM by wobertc

What does it mean when files "could not be copied to the backup location" are actually copied to the backup location?

3catz

I just updated LR today (CC on my iMac) and then downloaded 1265 photos from a card with backup directed to a designated new file in a new thunderbolt external hd.  When finished, I got the message "The files could not be copied to the backup location. (1265)."  When I checked the backup hd folder, all the image files -- ARW and .xmp -- where there as intended.  Can anyone help me figure out what happened?  My preliminary guess is that I did something about the sequence of steps that confused LR.  LR was on and I had gone to the import page to update the backup to the new folder/hd.  Then I put the card in the card reader (the cable of which was plugged into my hub, which I discovered, had been unplugged from the iMac; I plugged it in and reinserted the card in the reader). I don't recall anything unusual in subsequent steps (basically waiting for everything to download to LR).  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: What does it mean when files "could not be copied to the backup location" are actually copied to the backup location?
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

with backup directed to a designated new file

What do you mean by this?   Do you have the option ticked to {Make a Second Copy To: }? 

Lr does not have an image 'Backup' function other than the "Second Copy" option at import.

all the image files -- ARW and .xmp -- where there as intended.

Where?  The details?  Is this the dated folder created by a "Second Copy", or is it the folder you specified for the "Destination" of your imported files?   (These two 'folder' destinations must be two entirely different locations.)

could not be copied

Might indicate that one of these two locations are not available for some reason- Read/Write permissions, available space, disconnected hard-drive, etc.

Some more details will help you get an answer.

• 2. Re: What does it mean when files "could not be copied to the backup location" are actually copied to the backup location?
            3catz Level 1

Yes - I am talking about making a "second copy".

The image files went into the usual dated folders within a Lightroom/2017/ file I had created on the external HD.

The images also clearly went into the HD of the iMac (what you might call the first copy).

So I can't see how permissions, space, or disconnected drive could be involved (the external HD and connections were not touched before or during the LR download).

My point is the message "could not be copied" to the second copy location is wrong.  They were copied.  So what could bring this anomalous situation about. 

The only circumstances that were unusual were that (a) I had fist opened the LR import screen, then inserted the card into a reader not connected, and then connected the card reader.  Is there anyway this could have led to the erroneous message (which wasn't about the data source)?

It is possible we won't figure this out.

Do you think I am better off opening LR but not going to the import screen, rather inserting the card into the reader and having LR switch to the import screen upon detection of the card?

Thanks for you reffort to help.

• 3. Re: What does it mean when files "could not be copied to the backup location" are actually copied to the backup location?

It is possible we won't figure this out.

I agree.

Have you confirmed using Mac Finder that all the photo files have indeed been copied from the camera card and into the two locations-

1. The internal HD  in the desired folder structure.

2. The thunderbolt external drive in ONE single dated folder (all the photos from that one import process)

And have you checked Read/write permissions for all folders and sub-folders on the thunderbolt drive where you are saving the 'second copy'?

And the error message- Is that the exact wording shown?

Just thinking- the (1265) suggests it may have been an operating system error (and not Lightroom)

If Lr cannot write files when it is importing the error message often says "....could not be READ...."

• 4. Re: What does it mean when files "could not be copied to the backup location" are actually copied to the backup location?
                3catz Level 1

In the external drive, there is NOT one folder dated with the date of the import.  Rather they are dated as of the date the photos were taken.

As to the internal HD, how do I go about determining the file structure?

• 5. Re: What does it mean when files "could not be copied to the backup location" are actually copied to the backup location?
                  3catz Level 1

Just checked in LR one of the images I downloaded - using "show in finder" indicates that LR is using the external HD.  That wasn't my intention.  How can I fix so photo is on iMac HD?

• 6. Re: What does it mean when files "could not be copied to the backup location" are actually copied to the backup location?
                    3catz Level 1

Mea culpa.  It looks like the problem may be entirely of my own making due to a misunderstanding of target drive and second copy drive.  It looks like I have for some time got them backwards.  So now I need to figure out how to bring the second copies back to the iMac HD.  Any thoughts?  I would first try this with the current batch.  Appreciate if you can help or direct me to where I can get help.

• 7. Re: What does it mean when files "could not be copied to the backup location" are actually copied to the backup location?

I am happy to know you are getting it sorted and understanding.

how to bring the second copies back to the iMac HD.

The recommended method goes like this-

1. In the Lr folder panel, Make a note of the folder name * on the external drive that you want on the internal HD

2. Exit from Lightroom and use the operating system (Finder/File Explorer) to COPY that whole folder of images from the 'external' to the 'internal' within a suitable location for photos. (Hint: do not choose the desktop)

3. Open Lightroom, select this same folder in the Folder panel of the library view. (as it appears on the external HD)

4. R-CLick the folder and choose "Update folder location..."

5. A Finder window opens, navigate to the new folder location in the internal HD.

6. Click [Select Folder]

7. When Lr now is looking at the images on the internal HD successfully, you can use the OS to later delete the folder on the external HD

(and of necessity you do have other photo backups somewhere else- right?)

* If you have a hierarchy of folders you want to move, you can select the topmost folder and copy it complete with sub-folders, and use the method above.

For the "Second Copies" folders -you should consider them a temporary backup only. They can be deleted after you are sure you have other more permanent backups done that will 'mirror' or match your internal-HD folder structure and photos. (which Lr does not do!)

Also for the next import- Check the Destination panel.!!