6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2017 2:35 AM by Kasyan Servetsky

Script to read alt text of XMP description of a linked image

Steven-768

I have script to display the custom alt text of a image, but I can not get it to read images where the alt text is from XMP description, I have tried all sorts of variations.

(e.g. alt =image.objectExportOptions.properties.DescriptionAltText or alt =image.objectExportOptions.properties.XMPDescriptionAltText)

The script for the "custom" alt text is below.  Can anyone get it to read the XMP description alt text of linked images?

(function(){

var frames;

var image;

var alt;

frames = app.selection;

image = frames[0];

alt =image.objectExportOptions.properties.customAltText

alert("Alt custom text is: " + alt  )

}());

• 1. Re: Script to read alt text of XMP description of a linked image
          Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

I'm not sure if I understood your question properly, but maybe like so:

(function(){
              var frames = app.selection,
              image = frames[0],
              link = image.itemLink,
              metadata = link.linkXmp,
              description = metadata.description;
              alert("Description is: '" + description + "'");
          }());

• 2. Re: Script to read alt text of XMP description of a linked image
            Stefan Rakete Level 2

// load the XMPScript library

if (ExternalObject.AdobeXMPScript == undefined) {

ExternalObject.AdobeXMPScript = new ExternalObject("lib:AdobeXMPScript");

}

• 3. Re: Script to read alt text of XMP description of a linked image
              Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

Is that any better approach then reading the description property directly from the link's metatada (linkXmp)?

— Kas

• 4. Re: Script to read alt text of XMP description of a linked image
                Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

Well, let's salt the cow to catch the calf.

Here's a working example based on a script I wrote a few years ago (the snippet you copy-pasted from the reference ain't working as it is, at least for me).

Main();

function Main() {
                    var doc = app.activeDocument;
                    var link = doc.links[0];
                    var linkPath = link.filePath;
                    var description = GetDescription(linkPath);
                }

function GetDescription(linkPath) {
                    try {
                        if (xmpLib == undefined) {
                            var pathToLib = (Folder.fs == "Windows") ? Folder.startup.fsName + "/AdobeXMPScript.dll" : "/Applications/Adobe Bridge CS5.1/Adobe Bridge CS5.1.app/Contents/MacOS/AdobeXMPScript.framework";
                            var libfile = new File(pathToLib);
                            var xmpLib = new ExternalObject("lib:" + pathToLib);
                        }

var xmpFile = new XMPFile(linkPath, XMPConst.FILE_JPEG, XMPConst.OPEN_FOR_READ);
                        var xmp = xmpFile.getXMP();
                        var descriptionProperty = xmp.getProperty("http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/", "dc:description[1]");
                        var description = descriptionProperty.value;
                        return description;
                    }
                    catch(err) {
                        $.writeln(err.message + ", line: " + err.line);
                    }
                }

Here are the files I used for testing the script above.

— Kas

• 5. Re: Script to read alt text of XMP description of a linked image
                  Steven-768 Level 1

Thank you all, getting closer, but still not working right, might be a very slight issue.

I put the alert at the end : alert("Description is: '" + description + "'");  so I can have a screen readout. It does display the Meta description, but always of the same file regardless of the image that is selected.

Any fixes

• 6. Re: Script to read alt text of XMP description of a linked image
                    Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

... but always of the same file regardless of the image that is selected.

The script in my post 4 -- in response to Stefan Rakete  -- was intended to demonstrate how to use XMP object to get description which is a little more complex than getting it directly from the link's metadata. It references the 1st link in the document instead of selection. Another issue with this approach: we have to indicate the image type in the format argument (there are a number of them):

var xmpFile = new XMPFile(linkPath, XMPConst.FILE_JPEG, XMPConst.OPEN_FOR_READ);

Here's my vision of script. I assume that the image is selected with either black, or white arrow.

var scriptName = "Get description from selected link",
                    doc;

PreCheck();

//===================================== FUNCTIONS ======================================
                    function Main(image) {
                        var link = image.itemLink,
                        metadata = link.linkXmp,  
                        description = metadata.description;  
                        alert("Description is: '" + description + "'", scriptName, false);
                    }
                    //--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    function PreCheck() {
                        var image;
                        if (app.documents.length == 0) ErrorExit("Please open a document and try again.", true);
                        doc = app.activeDocument;
                        if (doc.converted) ErrorExit("The current document has been modified by being converted from older version of InDesign. Please save the document and try again.", true);
                        if (!doc.saved) ErrorExit("The current document has not been saved since it was created. Please save the document and try again.", true);
                        if (app.selection.length == 0 || app.selection.length > 1) ErrorExit("One image should be selected.", true);

if (app.selection[0].constructor.name == "Image") { // image selected with white arrow
                            image = app.selection[0];
                        }
                        else if (app.selection[0].images.length > 0) { // container selected with black arrow
                            image = app.selection[0].images[0];
                        }
                        else {
                            ErrorExit("No image in the selection.", true);
                        }

Main(image);
                    }
                    //--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    function ErrorExit(error, icon) {
                        alert(error, scriptName, icon);
                        exit();
                    }