5 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2017 5:02 PM by Kevin-Monahan

AE CS6 audio sync gets lost

dpolkat3 Level 1

Still using CS6 because I like it. Never had a problem and still don't with most of my cameras. But I just started using a Sony DSC-H70 in 720p and when I try to edit these files in AE, the audio sync gets lost.immediately. This is NOT audio slipping slightly after a while. The audio simply doesn't get cut unlike the video does. I go back to another camera and it works fine again. The camera puts out 720p video in a MP4 shell. I don't know what type of audio file it includes. The computer is a fast Intel Q9300 on an Asus board running Win 7 (64bit).. Lots of memory, but it's not the computer. It's something about this little Sony camera.

What could be causing this? Any response will be appreciated!

• 1. Re: AE CS6 audio sync gets lost
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I don't know what type of audio file it includes.

You can always find out using tools liek Media Info, Handbrake, VLC... Otherwise I don't see what we can do for you without that info and of course exact details about your audio settings as well.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: AE CS6 audio sync gets lost
            dpolkat3 Level 1

Okay. VLC says that the audio is MPEG AAC Audio at 48000 Hz. The only audio settings I could find in After Effects is After Effects WDM sound. I also have a Nikon P510 and have had several Canon cameras. And all files from those cameras work fine. So I think it must be something with this camera. By the way, just playing this cameras files, say in VLC, and the audio is fine. It simply doesn't get cut with the video in AE. ??

• 3. Re: AE CS6 audio sync gets lost
              dpolkat3 Level 1

I'm pretty sure that it's this camera's files. I took one and put it in Premiere. I rendered it out as a H264 file and it plays fine in a player. So I took this output file and put it in AE. Did a few little effects and rendered it out again as a H264 file. Plays fine! So I again took an original camera file and cut it in AE. Audio was off badly.

So there's something about this Sony camera's output files that confuses AE. I notice that files I have from other cameras are MPEG4 AVC files, while this camera also puts out MPEG4 files but without the AVC listed. Could that be anything? Anyway thanks Mylenium for responding!

• 4. Re: AE CS6 audio sync gets lost
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's possible something is amiss. AE doesn't do so well with long GOP codecs (like MPEG4 and H.264) in general, but the problem was more of an issue with older versions (like CS6). Transcoding any footage you plan to use in AE to a production codec (like DNxHD, Cineform, QuickTime with the PNG codec, QuickTime with the Photo-JPEG codec, etc.) and use that production file in AE instead will make things go faster and smoother.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: AE CS6 audio sync gets lost
                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi DPolkat3,

Did you ever solve this issue? Please let us know if any of our experts provided the advice you needed.

Thanks,

Kevin