2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2017 9:32 PM by George_Johnson

Lookup a value in a lookup table

Lily@Reliable

I have created a PDF form for my customers to use when ordering.  I would like to add a feature to the form, so it calculates the price based on values selected in the form.  I have used the Vlookup feature in Excel to do this.  Is there something similar I can do with scripting in acrobat?  I have no background in Java scripting so it would have to be rather simple, which I fear it is not...

• 1. Re: Lookup a value in a lookup table
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

No, there isn't. What can be done is to attach a text file with all of the data to the PDF and then use a script to read it when the file is opened and then lookup the values in it when needed. This is not a simple scripting task, though.

Another option is to hard-code all of the values into the code. That's easier to write, but requires much more work, of course, and is more difficult to maintain.

I can develop for you the scripts required to achieve this. If you're interested in hiring someone to do it feel free to contact me privately at try6767 at gmail.com.

• 2. Re: Lookup a value in a lookup table
            George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

How many rows of data would there be? You can create an object that contains the data and look up the value(s) using JavaScript. If you'd like more specific help, just provide more details.