4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2017 7:27 AM by jane-e

Using Master pages

MartinRTR Level 1

Hi There

Can anyone help me with master Pages.

Master Pages are a thing of beauty and, if i could only 'master' them would save hours and hours - but one thing eludes me. Making changes on the master page seems to apply the change to the document pages only randomly. Now as I understand computers are totally binary, don't have a personality and therefore don't things randomy I have to accept that it's the user (that's me!) at fault and not the machine.

So - what am i doing on those pages wher the changes don't apply? I didn't think anythbing but there MUST be. Possibly related to this and deeply irksome – is that on some pages, when I make a MP change it simply plonks the chnage on top of the existing item in the document rather than replace it. What possible setting i ask myself what I need that for?!

To simplify the question – How can I ensure that all changes made on the MP are applied to the relevant document pages as an 'over-write' every time?

Thanks

Martin

• 1. Re: Using Master pages
          Alma Strutt Adobe Community Professional

Hi Martin

it would be good to see a screen shot of the problem you're experiencing but by default changes you make to a master page are automatically applied to associate pages.

It sounds as though you have some overrides going on in your document and they behave differently depending on what you're asking the document to do. There is also the option to detach a master page item and that also allows the object to behave in a different way.

If you would like to post an example of the trouble you're experiencing we can get to the bottom of the problem or if you prefer to check out the Adobe help link on Master Pages see below.

Learn how to use master pages in InDesign

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Using Master pages
            MartinRTR Level 1

Hi Alma

Thanks for that

In the end I think posting my question was more about venting my frustration than asking for an answer!

I will just have to work my way patiently through the link above

Thanks for your reply

Martin

• 3. Re: Using Master pages
              BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

Here's how I teach master pages, Martin:

1. When you make a new document (let's say it is 12 pages) and you fill out the New Document dialog box with paper size, margins, columns, etc. all that information is added the the A-Master
              2. All body pages are assigned the A-Master as a default, so they all get the same paper size, margins, columns, etc.
              3. When you add objects to the A-Master (page numbers, running heads, graphics, etc.), the new objects are immediately picked up by all the body pages because they are assigned A-Master

When you need multiple page layouts, you can create additional master pages. These can be based on the A-Master or not. Let's say you make a B-Master that is based on A-Master. You change the layout. Now body pages can use A or B. Elements added to B are only picked up by body pages using the B-Master. Add an element to A, and all the pages linked to A will update: B-Master which is based on A, plus body pages using A and body pages using B. A-Master is the parent master, and in my example, all pages are linked to A.

When this gets confusing (and this is the basis for your question), is when you begin overriding elements on pages based on the A-Master (master pages or body pages). If you want a change on a master to be reflected on the pages, don't override them.

So - what am i doing on those pages wher the changes don't apply?

One of two things:

• To override specific master items on a document page, press Ctrl+Shift (Windows) or Command+Shift (Mac OS) and click the item (or drag to select multiple items). Change the selected master items as desired. The item can now be selected like any other page item, but retains its association with the master page.
              • To override all master page items on a document spread, target the spread, and then choose Override All Master Page Items in the Pages panel menu. You can now select and modify any and all master items as you wish.

Once you override any master item, its dotted bounding box becomes a solid line to show that a local copy has been created. Once you override any master item, changing it on the master will not be reflected on the body pages.

2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Using Master pages
                jane-e Adobe Community Professional

A screen shot of your Pages panel would be useful—make sure it is wide enough and that we can see all of the Master Pages.

1 person found this helpful