6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2008 1:12 PM by Brian Stew

Director and After Effects CS3

lpoetschke
      Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Director and After Effects CS3? I am new to the world of animation but would like to purchase the best product for my needs. I am looking to create animations that would allow the user to press buttons on their keyboard to change the word on the screen while maintaining the same background animation. Which program do I need?

Thanks in advance!!!
        • 1. Re: Director and After Effects CS3
          Level 7
          After Effects is a 2D composition program - used e.g. to create tv spots,
          film titles, and video effects.

Director is an authoring tool / programming language, that can sure do what
          you ask.

"lpoetschke" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g92hsv$son$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Director and After
          > Effects
          > CS3? I am new to the world of animation but would like to purchase the
          > best
          > product for my needs. I am looking to create animations that would allow
          > the
          > user to press buttons on their keyboard to change the word on the screen
          > while
          > maintaining the same background animation. Which program do I need?
          >
          > Thanks in advance!!!
          >

• 2. Re: Director and After Effects CS3
            Brian Stew Level 2
            After Effects can be used to create top class smooth animations - in the right hands. It's output is video, from little webvideo animations to hi-res full screen cinema. It has no interactivity, so changing text 'live' is not an option. With Director you can do that easily. However as an animation tool I'd say it is so-so by today's standards. It's easy though! Depending on your needs it could be just fine, but you could also combine the two: create a background animation in After Effects, importing it to Director and add the interactivity on top. This - combining different media from different sources - is what Director excels at. Purchasing both apps is expensive though - download the trial and see what it can do for you.
            • 3. Re: Director and After Effects CS3
              lpoetschke Level 1
              Thanks so much for your responses! They have really helped me understand what I am looking for...the combination of the two. I really appreciate your help!
              • 4. Re: Director and After Effects CS3
                Martin Schaefer Level 1
                Hi,

just want to make sure there's no false information spread:

After Effects isn't just 2D but also 3D.

Cheers,
                Martin
                • 5. Re: Director and After Effects CS3
                  Level 7
                  > After Effects isn't just 2D but also 3D.
                  Unless something has changed in the recent versions, and excepting third
                  party plugins, afx is a 2D tool, that can position cameras, lights and
                  planes (footage or compositions) in 3D space. And since (again, if nothing
                  has changed) it does not support 3D models, I wouldn't say it qualifies as a
                  3D tool.

"Macromartin" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:g93fhe$83o$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > just want to make sure there's no false information spread:
                  >
                  > After Effects isn't just 2D but also 3D.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > Martin

• 6. Director and After Effects CS3
                    Brian Stew Level 2
                    quote:

Originally posted by: Macromartin
                    Hi, just want to make sure there's no false information spread: After Effects isn't just 2D but also 3D.
                    Well, this certainly is false information!

After Effects can manipulate its layers in 3D space, and it has shadow casitng lights and a camera also moveable in 3D space. There's no support for 3d models however, and without this basic requirement it can't count as a 3D app. It's known as "postcards in space", or 2.5D. Try any real 3D app out there, and you will see it is completely different. That said, within its limitations After Effects "3D" can create some really cool stuff.
                    Director however, have support for real 3D! Even in realtime and with interactivity - that's pretty unique.