• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSD Mockup help please...

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating PSD mockups to use on my website. I need to be able to create layers that sit over some of the smart objects to make them look more realistic. In this one I need to make the pocket appear over the insert card that is sitting inside it. I have no idea how to do this or how to describe the process in order to find a step by step or video - any help much appreciated.

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 20.23.51.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Use layers and masks.

Imagine a layer as being an image painted on a piece of transparent plastic. Where the mask is painted white - the image on that section of the layer  is visible. Where the mask is painted black, the image on that section of the layer becomes transparent and the underlying layer shows through.

So I duplicated your image and masked so just the cover section was visible. ( I used the clone tool to repair the image and wipe out the writing and your path).

I then used layer styles

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use layers and masks.

Imagine a layer as being an image painted on a piece of transparent plastic. Where the mask is painted white - the image on that section of the layer  is visible. Where the mask is painted black, the image on that section of the layer becomes transparent and the underlying layer shows through.

So I duplicated your image and masked so just the cover section was visible. ( I used the clone tool to repair the image and wipe out the writing and your path).

I then used layer styles to add a small drop shadow to match the lighting.
You could easily add another card between those two layers.

If this is not what you were after - please shout out

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dave,

That's absolutely brilliant thanks and just the effect that I'm after. Could you explain the process of masking all but the cover section?

I'll be taking more shots to use for mockups and I'm certain I'll need to do this quite a bit.

Huge thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The mask is very simple.

1. Duplicate your layer and ensure that new duplicate is highlighted in the layers panel

2. Select the area you want to keep using one of the selection tools (in this case, with all straight lines,  the polygonal lasso tool is probably the easiest). You will see the "marching ants" around your selection

3. Go to Layer - Layer Mask - Reveal Selection

This will add a mask to your duplicated layer in the shape of your selection

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Dave,

Like Richard, I am also in need of some assistance with the PSD mockup feature.  While I am already familiar with the masking process, It appears as though the issue with the pocket has been fixed, however the card still looks 2-dimensional as it is shown placed on the  surface. How can the PSD Covers or mockup features be applied to make the image look more realistic?

I once used something called PSD Covers found on www.psdcovers.com which required me to click and download the a series of plugins, actions and smart objects in Photoshop.  I then opened the app, clicked "WINDOW", then "EXTENSIONS" and then "PSD COVERS" which is where all of the actions were loaded.  Thereafter, I was able to produce book cover and CD cover designs that looked 3-dimensional.  Are you familiar with that?  I am in need of a cover for a compact disc and/or a T-shirt cover.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am not familiar with the downloads you describe. That is because when I do a mock up I tend to build it from scratch.

That can be as simple as shapes transformed to give a 3 dimensional look in 2D space or as complex as creating and rendering a scene in full 3D. Sometimes it is a hybrid of the two.

However all share some common themes.

1. Getting a realistic perspective so that the image appears to be 3 dimensional and not randomly warped.

2. Getting lighting and shadows in place to make the image sit naturally

3. If there is anything reflective in the scene, for example you mentioned  a CD cover, ensuring that there is reflection on the appropriate surface. That would involve a separate layer above the picture in 2D with an appropriate blending mode (e.g. screen) or a reflective surface in 3D.

By all means download templates but you will learn more if you look at how they are put together so that you can adjust or build them to suit your exact requirements.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines