3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2017 12:30 AM by Mr.K8

External SSD for video editing.

Holtravis Level 1

Right now I'm editing video on my 2015 13 inch macbook pro. It has 512 gbs of storage, so I imported about 200 gb the other day and got to editing. The computer handles it pretty well, but recently I've heard that importing all the footage to the drive on the computer is not that efficient. Can you edit video straight from an external ssd or hdd, and if you can, how does the speed compare to using the native drive on the macbook? Thanks

[Moderator note: moved to best forum]

• 1. Re: External SSD for video editing.
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Bill Gehrke ... The Expert on real-time testing & hardware issues for the Adobe DVA's, recommends the Samsung T3 drives via USB3 as the biggest help for laptops to get a decently fast second drive. Real-time sustained read/write speeds while PrPro is running is crucial, and other drives simply don't come near.

Neil

• 2. Re: External SSD for video editing.
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes I have even edited simple XAVC-S Sony 4K 100 Mbit/s footage on my USB 3.0 port on my PC laptop that is slightly older than your Macbook Pro with the Samsung T3 USB 3.1 portable SSD.  I assume you have a Thunderbolt port on your Mac so that might also be usable but the T3 is the only solution that s well tested.  I put all Project and Media on the T3 but do leave the Media Cache folders on the default OS/Applications SSD.  If you have another computer some place you can plug the T3 in and edit away.

• 3. Re: External SSD for video editing.
              Mr.K8 Level 1

Using the T3 for almost a year now without a hitch (knock on wood). Its USB3 so I can do my AE/Premiere stuff on my MBP while travelling and then just plug it into my PC workstation (with Paragon mac drive reading software installed) and continue working on a big screen.