5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2017 8:56 AM by Szalam

Vertical Parallax

Vanessa_14

i am trying to create an animation where things are moving up in the sky. I followed a tutorial on how to do a parallax but horizontal. In the video, he uses expressions. They do work on my project but I need it to move up, not side to side. Does anyone know how? I've attached the tutorial video. Thanks!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mAvZl31iClA&ebc=ANyPxKoZ91O2jdkZzpy-QymptxY6VYukRK_nBAN75qjG kFX_CobJlIjpOg6MhuNUH389jplV_n…

• 1. Re: Vertical Parallax
          eikonoklastes Level 4

Why don't you just keyframe the Y position instead on each layer at different speeds?

• 2. Re: Vertical Parallax
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

...and why are you watching youtube tutorials from some guy named "mikey"?  Now, that's a handle that engenders trust and projects competence!

Sounds like the 3-year-old kid from the Quaker Life commercials:  "He likes it! Hey, Mikey!"

If I were you, I'd check out the tutorials from Adobe, the Creative COW, videocopilot or the pro video coalition.  Learn from the pros, not some high school kid.

• 3. Re: Vertical Parallax
              Gutter-Fish Level 4

Well you know "side to side" is the x parameter right?  And "up and down" is the y parameter, right? 

And if you watch the video you see that when he creates the expression "x" is "position 0",  & "y" is "position 1", right?

So do what he did only do it for "position 1" instead of "position 0".

But to borrow a little from each of the other replies:  If I were you, I'd just key frame the y position on each layer at different speeds.

• 4. Re: Vertical Parallax
                Stefan Gruenwedel Adobe Employee

Vanessa: Does the advice from Gutter-Fish work for you?

• 5. Re: Vertical Parallax
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Dave+LaRonde  wrote

...and why are you watching youtube tutorials from some guy named "mikey"?  Now, that's a handle that engenders trust and projects competence!

Sounds like the 3-year-old kid from the Quaker Life commercials:  "He likes it! Hey, Mikey!"

If I were you, I'd check out the tutorials from Adobe, the Creative COW, videocopilot or the pro video coalition.  Learn from the pros, not some high school kid.

Actually, this isn't a high school Kid. Mikey is a pretty good tutorial guy (who is very much an adult) and he makes some useful little AE tools as well.

1 person found this helpful