• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatic lens corrections (Sony Aplha 6500)

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Sony a6500 with a 16-70 mm 4 Zeiss lens. If I shoot with all lens corrections set to ON, I get a message in LR that a "Built in Lens Profile is applied". That is without checking "Enable Profile Corrections" in Lightroom CC.

Everything is fine, but the distortion is NOT corrected. If I then check "Enable Profile Corrections" the distortion is gone, but vignetting is changed again. I can remove that by moving the vignette slider to zero.

My question now: Is this a bug or a feature? Is vignette = 0 really always zero? Is there anything else, which will be corrected twice?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eb,

To remove lens vignette in Lightroom all you need to do is head into the Develop module and under the Lens Corrections panel select the Enable Profile Corrections box. Once this box is checked it will remove the vignette based on a profile based on the camera or lens you used. These profiles are built into Lightroom.

Also, refer: Work with lens profiles in Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, and Camera Raw

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the answer Mohuit, but this is not what happens.

In Lightroom there are two different ways of handling lens correction. One is fully automatic with no user interaction at all. To this category belong my Sony camera/lens combination (a6500 and either 10-18 mm or 16 – 70 mm lenses). The others, like my Nikon, need the user to check ”Enable Profile Correction”. To make clear that there is an automatic correction already applied and the user would not do some “double” correction by ticking that box in ”Enable Profile Correction”, there is a comment at the lower end of the correction dialog saying “! Built in Lens Profiles applied”. Clicking this comment there will be poping up a dialog explaining this a bit more. This btw is true for Camera raw as well.

In the link you provided this behavior is roughly described.

This automatic correction is applied for chromatic aberration and vignetting (or shading as Sony calls it) to both JPG AND RAW files, for distortion like barrel distortion only to JPG, if it is enabled within the camera’s settings. So far everything is fine.

Summary is: my Sony RAWs files are corrected even if I do not tick ”Enable Profile Correction” ! The exception is distortion, which for some reason is not automatically corrected for RAW images. In JPG that is fine (but that is processed in the camera anyway).

If I want to correct distortion in Lightroom, I will tick ”Enable Profile Correction” and the distortion is gone. But as vignetting is corrected already automatically, the vignette is then corrected twice, showing edges of the photo, which are too light. So I need to get rid of this second vignetting correction. If I move the vignetting slider to left (to 0) the over correction seems to be gone.

My question now is: Is this really completely set to zero for the second “treatment”? Is there any other way of automatically remove distortion ONLY?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines