5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2008 5:38 AM by john isaacks

Mirrored Components (not 'reflection')

Russell.Brown
      I have two Air Windows and I want them two share the same set of Sub components. I want to be able to create one instance of a canvas and have both windows using the one instance.

Is this possible? Currently only one of the two windows is properly being updates. If this is outside of best practice I would also like to know (even if it is possible).
        • 1. Re: Mirrored Components (not relfection)
          Level 7

"Russell.Brown" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:girelk$qk2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have two Air Windows and I want them two share the same set of Sub
          > components. I want to be able to create one instance of a canvas and have
          > both
          > windows using the one instance.
          >
          > Is this possible? Currently only one of the two windows is properly being
          > updates. If this is outside of best practice I would also like to know
          > (even if
          > it is possible).

As long as both of them are not visible at the same time, yes, you can
          reparent the one instance.

• 2. Re: Mirrored Components (not 'reflection')
            Russell.Brown Level 1
            Both of them are visible. The windows are being displayed on multiple screens....
            • 3. Re: Mirrored Components (not 'reflection')
              john isaacks Level 1
              I think the best practice may be to have both components have different children but make those children just receive their data and display their state based off of a singleton data class.

for example class A looks and behaves the way it does based on data from class B.
              class B is a singleton class so it is always the same.
              both windows have an instance of class A.

HTH
              • 4. Re: Mirrored Components (not 'reflection')
                Level 7

"john isaacks" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:gisasv$reo$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >I think the best practice may be to have both components have
                >different
                > children but make those children just receive their data and display their
                > state based off of a singleton data class.
                >
                > for example class A looks and behaves the way it does based on data from
                > class
                > B.
                > class B is a singleton class so it is always the same.
                > both windows have an instance of class A.

I don't think it's ever best practice to have a singleton class of a type
                that's intended to be on the display list. I doubt it's even _possible_.

• 5. Re: Mirrored Components (not 'reflection')
                  john isaacks Level 1
                  quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User

"john isaacks" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:gisasv$reo$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >I think the best practice may be to have both components have
                  >different
                  > children but make those children just receive their data and display their
                  > state based off of a singleton data class.
                  >
                  > for example class A looks and behaves the way it does based on data from
                  > class
                  > B.
                  > class B is a singleton class so it is always the same.
                  > both windows have an instance of class A.

I don't think it's ever best practice to have a singleton class of a type
                  that's intended to be on the display list. I doubt it's even _possible_.

Thats not what I was trying to say...I was trying to say have the class that is meant to be on the display list get its data from the singleton class.