• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how come when i remove an object with content aware it brings in unselected part of the picture to fill with?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to remove an object in the background of a picture, and have watched tutorials saying to use the lasso tool the the content aware fill, but when I try this it fills it with blurry parts of people from below the object despite the lasso'd area not touching the people in the picture. Is there a different way that I cant find of removing an object that is touching different coloured parts of the background?  Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy the section of the image that you want content aware to use when filling, onto a separate layer then make your selection round the object and use content aware fill on that separate layer.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, thanks for the reply, i tried that which has solved the bringing random parts of picture in but as it has some cards under the tv (which is what im trying to remove) it just smears the cards into the space i am trying to get blank wall, i take it this method only works with similar coloured backgrounds/?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It is hard to tell you the best method without seeing the image. Sometimes cloning works better, sometimes healing, sometimes content aware.

Are you able to post the image stating what you are trying to remove/replace and we'll and help you with a method for that image?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Dave - post a screenshot and we can help you. Content aware can be tricky and fussy. Sometimes you have to try it in pieces or try something else, like the patch tool.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a mask for your original photo. Mask out any areas you do not want content aware fill to sample from. Highlight the orginal photo, create the selection and use content aware fill. Only unmasked areas will be sampled from

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the photo, it is the tv I am trying to remove (its for a friend who wanted to frame it for someone so its not really necessary as its still a nice photo but they would prefer it without and I wanted to try and improve my editing skills, ive not done object removal before)

So with the content aware at first it replaced it with some smeary hair and randomly an eyeball, and by creating another layer for the fill it blended the top of the cards into where we would like wall to be which makes sense if it uses its surroundings to fill it, thats why I was wondering if I was going about it the wrong way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The best way with that is to use select and mask to select the area you want - then drop in a new background behind it.

Open the image and select and mask, set the view mode to onion skin and transparency to 30%. Now use the quick select tool (the brush at the top left) to paint in the areas you want i.e. the children & seat. If it it picks up areas you don't want hold the Alt key whilst painting and it will remove them.

Once you have done that change to the refine edge tool (second one down) and set the brush to just 10px wide. Now paint around the edges of the hair (and only those edges)

When you are done set the output (bottom right) to New Layer with Layer Mask and press OK

Now you can insert a new layer underneath with whatever background you choose - I used a layer using Filter - Render - Clouds and  set to the luminosity blending mode over a brown layer.

Finally add an additional layer above the masked layer - set the layer blending mode to colour and paint around the edges of the hair with a brush set the same as the hair colour. This just removes any fringes of colour from around the edge that had been picked up from the background.

I hope that helps you

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hii,

Wow thank you, that was really helpful, I managed to make the mask so I could sort the background out easier with the clone stamp without having to go round all the bits of hair etc in the way (that was really annoying before) then merged the mask back onto the background, although I need to improve my edging,I didn't really get the last part, but i don't think it looks that bad for my first attempt so thank you very much 🙂 I shall keep practicing now I have an idea what im doing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got there.

That last part is not needed if you haven't changed the background color.

But just so you know for the future :

When you mask something like hair, the edge of the wanted hair often has a tinge of colour from the old background. Select and Mask has a checkbox "Decontaminate Colors" to remove that - however it does not work well.

Instead you can add an empty layer above the wanted hair layer and alt click on the border between those layers in the layers panel. A little downward arrow will appear. This means anything you paint on the new empty layer will only show where the layer below has pixels. This is called a clipping mask. 
If you now set that new layer to color blending mode it will change the color of the image but not the brightness. So painting on the edges of the hair with a wanted hair color will replace the tinged hair color with that wanted hair color but the texture of the hair will remain.
That is what I did on layer 3 in the example I posted

I hope that makes sense.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My approach in this situation is the same as when making composited.  Select and copy the foreground elements I want to keep, to a new layer, and place above the fixed area.  That ensures no issues where the fix butts up to the background as the fix continues under the copied foreground pixels.  It _always_ makes a better job of it.

This image was particularly easy to fix because the background was so plain, and had two perfect verticals we could use (the inside and outside corners of the walls). So after making a copy of the top of the girl's heads and the seat cushions, and moving that to the top of the stack, it was a simple matter of making a rectangular marquee selection of first the darker wall area, and running a gradient across it, and then the same with area to the right of it.

To get a good match you select each end of the area you are going to fill, and copy the colours with foreground and background colours, and run your gradient.  A tiny bit of grain gives it texture. 

I strongly believe that Photoshop users should try to learn how to create content from scratch purely with Photoshop's tools.  It is often easier than you think, and it is a powerful tool to have available.  Steve Caplin's '100% Photoshop' is the best book on the subject I know of.  But Bert Monroy's tutorials on Illustration of Lynda.com cover heaps more ground.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A wee footnote...  I don't know how to explain it, but the Select & Mask workspace and tools seem to be a lot more effective and usable as time goes by.  Obviously the only thing that has changed is me, but I don't feel that I am doing anything different.  It just seems to be working better for me.   Go figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was similar - when it first appeared I had to force myself to use it and it did act differently (it also crashed a lot on my PC). Now I am very comfortable with it. The crashes have been fixed and some improvements made to the algorithms. Perfect it isn't - the decontaminate colours process is atrocious - but refine edge wasn't perfect either.

One final tip I would add ( not for you Trevor - I know you already know this),  is if possible put the intended background underneath before using Select and Mask. That way you only spend time producing a mask that will work in the new environment - rather than creating a perfect mask that will work in every combination of background - but which you will never need.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your last sentence Dave, is why I always like to use the Martin Evening tutorial for the old Refine Edge in forum replies.  This comes from the days of CS5, but is still relevant seeing as we know how to recall Refine Edge for layer masks.

I wonder how complex Decontaminate Colors is?  I routinely use it, but mainly because it forces a new layer with layer mask, which is the obvious starting point if any fine tuning is needed, but I'm guessing Decontaminate Colors targets color(s) sampled from the edge pixels, but does it do this with a single colour range, or multiple (as in totally desaturate the edge pixels)?  We know that so many Photoshop features use scripts to cobble together other (older) features, so I envisage colour range or hue/saturation coming into it.  I like to use Hue/sat because it nearly always works better if you can edit both tonal value as well as hue/saturation, so that Lightness slider can make a big difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - still a relevant tutorial even using Select and Mask.

The main difference I find with refine edge in Select and Mask is that I use a smaller brush with a hard edge and smart radius off

Unfortunately - with no slider control, the Decontaminate Colors in S&M should be relabelled as - "mess up the mask". That is not really a complaint as using a color blend clipping mask works much better in that it allows you to choose the colours that fit your subject and background.  I also do the same with luminosity on the edge if going from a very light to a very dark background.  Maybe we should ask for a tool in select and mask that allows you to output "New Layer with Mask + additional clipping color blend layer " 

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the advice and help everyone 🙂 And that's good Dave I thought I was been even stupider than normal haha but if that step wasn't needed that's good, but yeah I can try it next time now I know!

Trevor your wall corner looks a lot better than mine! I didnt think it looked too bad until I saw yours   Rectangular marquee sounds easier than my rubbish attempts with the clone stamp... but I will check out the tutorials, ive been scared of photoshop for a while and been sticking to lightroom for just general tweaking but now i am quite excited about photoshop and its opened lots of new things to do with photos!

just out of interest how long did it take you both roughly to come up with your finished photos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just out of interest how long did it take you both roughly to come up with your finished photos?

Just a few minutes. The more you do this, and get used to the tools, the quicker you get

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

a few minutes! thats pretty good

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines