3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2017 11:21 AM by jane-e

InDesign Transparency Issue

CTC-NH Level 1

I have an InDesign preference issue I need some help solving.  I've been talking to Adobe Tech Support for two days with emails and files being sent to them, but no resolution.

It's a transparency issue when placing a native Illustrator file with a transparent background into an Indesign file.  A white background is added to the placed file . This happens with ANY InDesign file (New or existing) and ANY Illustrator file (New or Existing). I can place a .png file with a transparency fine, but not an illustrator file. I've isolated the issue to one machine and know the illustrator files are good.  I sync the files to the Creative Cloud and if I open documents and place a transparent file into the same InDesign doc, it works as expected.

I'm quite sure this is an InDesign issue, It's worked fine for years, and something happened a couple days ago... and only to this one machine.

The problem is happening on a MacPro.  Latest OS, and the latest version of Indesign (and other CS apps).

I've un-installed Indesign and selected "Yes, remove app preferences".  I restarted and reinstalled InDesign from the Creative suite drop down.

Interestingly, when I opened InDesign, it showed my recent file list...?  I created a new file, placed a black box on a page and imported a transparent Illustrator file and its still placing it with a white background.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rich

• 1. Re: InDesign Transparency Issue
          jane-e Adobe Community Professional

CTC-NH  wrote

It's a transparency issue when placing a native Illustrator file with a transparent background into an Indesign file.  A white background is added to the placed file . This happens with ANY InDesign file (New or existing) and ANY Illustrator file (New or Existing).

Thanks,

Rich

When you place the Illustrator file, choose Show Import Options (Shift + Open is the shortcut). Confirm that Transparent Background is checked.

• 2. Re: InDesign Transparency Issue
            CTC-NH Level 1

Uggh...

I knew I should have come here first

Thanks for the quick and absolutely correct answer.

Any idea how this would have changed?  I did not change it.

Rich

• 3. Re: InDesign Transparency Issue
              jane-e Adobe Community Professional

I looked for a way to change it accidentally. Spacebar will check/uncheck a checkbox if you are on the field. But I had to press Tab four times to move to the Transparent Background field before hitting Space would uncheck it.

So no, I don't have any viable ideas for how it might have changed.

But I'm glad you are up and running!