Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

reoccurring note icon

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

What is the best way to create/access a reoccurring note icon in a project that may be updated in Robohelp (2015/HTML5)?

I am thinking saved and inserted as an image. As long as the naming convention remains the same any changes to the icon would be updated automatically across all topics. But someone on my team is wondering if it might be easier to manage as a snippet.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either way - they would both still reference the icon image from a file and, as you say, subbing in a new image (as long as it retained the same name) would update automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The advantage of a snippet would be if the image is used in more than one

project.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the responses. Would I not just copy over the image or snippet to the next project? Not sure what the advantage is exactly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I don't have much knowledge of snippets yet....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possibility would be to create a variable, Then add the icon to the variable.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

POST REWRITTEN

A snippet has to occupy a whole paragraph. If you want the image on its own line, that's fine. If you want it in line with some text, then you need a variable.

Having said that, on further thinking I am not seeing any advantage in using either in this scenario where it is one image used in multiple topics using the same file, except perhaps if the image size might change. Then, without testing, a snippet or variable might handle that better. It will depend on whether your HTML specifies a size for the image, if it does then you would need to edit the topics. I think that was only the case with older versions of RoboHelp.

What you do need to use if the image is in multiple projects is Resource Manager. Then you would update the image in the Resource Manager. On next opening each project you would be warned the image in the project is out of sync and you would update it. Users would not see the new image until the next time you generate.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I will look into Resource Manager for the Note icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp