4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2017 3:10 PM by melissapiccone

Photoshop CC mishandling files

Mary Lou Frost Level 1

I have a folder of 7 jpeg images on my hard drive that have been sized to 1200 x 1800 pixels.  When I am in the Photoshop CC Editor workspace and I do a File/Open and select all 7 to open, they open in their original full pixels size!

Why is this happening?  I have restarted my computer and relaunched  Photoshop CC and this continues to occur.

Mary Lou

• 1. Re: Photoshop CC mishandling files
          melissapiccone Adobe Community Professional

Are you saying they open larger than 1200 x 1800? How were they resized? What were they original pixel sizes?

• 2. Re: Photoshop CC mishandling files
            Mary Lou Frost Level 1

Yes.  Even though their pixel sizes on the hard drive show the small files about 1.8 MB with 1200 x 1800 pixels, when they are opened in the Photoshop CC Editor, they are back at their full size, 2559 x 3839 pixels.

They were sized via the Image Size menu and saved as jpegs quality 12.

I have now gone over to Photoshop Elements, opened these 8 images and individually resized them to the 1200x1800 size.  I then saved them over the original files.

They now are opening correctly!  I opened them In CS4, CC 2017 and in Elements.

What could have happened to have created this problem?  I would like to avoid it in the future.

Thanks for your input.

Mary Lou

• 3. Re: Photoshop CC mishandling files
              D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

l can't see any possible way this can happen.

Perhaps you resized correctly, but then accidentally hit cancel instead of OK. File size in MB is no indication of pixel dimensions, it depends on compression level and image content (some compress better than others).

Or perhaps you simply had the wrong folder. If you save through Save For Web or Export, for instance, the originals are not overwritten - it saves out copies to a different location.

• 4. Re: Photoshop CC mishandling files
                melissapiccone Adobe Community Professional

That's what I was going to say... you probably had 2 copies of the same image originally. The copies most likely saved into a new folder somewhere.