Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to select a specific nested property in multiple groups

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I imported an .eps file into a new composition and then applied the "Create shapes from vector layer" option on it, which created  a mask layer with hundreds of Groups which contain "paths"

1.png

I then tried selecting all the groups, and then highlighting "Path 1" in the first group to see if it would select all paths named "Path 1" but it only selects the one I'm clicking on. It seems there is no obvious way to select all paths within the selected Groups.

2.png

I also tried using the searchbox and typing "path" but I still can't easily select all the paths -- which would mean I would need to manually select hundreds of paths...

Does anyone know of a way to select all paths for all selected groups?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

You might see if this does what you want: http://aescripts.com/bq_shape-layer-navigator/

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only with a script. It's an inherent weakness in how AE handles property groups, not just with shape layers. You basically have to comb through the entire hierarchy to find an item. just fetching the name isn't enough.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium, thanks for the info. Do you have a solution to solve this problem of selecting a property across multiple property groups? (or know where I might find one)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might see if this does what you want: http://aescripts.com/bq_shape-layer-navigator/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Szalam, this plugin appears to do exactly what I'm looking for!! It's a paid plugin but I think it's worth it for me... Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to help! There are a lot of useful tools on that site. I particularly like Flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately they discontinued that product. I am having the same issue. Any alternatives or suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What action were you looking to perform after selecting all the paths? Perhaps there's another way to skin your cat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unless you absolutely need to animate a vector path on a shape layer or use the shape layer animators there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to convert a vector file to a shape layer.

if there are layers in a very complex illustration that you were going to need to animate that way then you need to go into illustrator and create a layered file isolating the layers that you must convert to shape layers to complete your project. These shape layers you need to convert cannot have any brushstrokes or gradients applied to them or they will not properly convert. That's the limitation of the system and 90% of the questions that I see concerning this problem or from users that do not need to convert vector paths to shape layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines