2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2008 3:27 AM by Anastomoosi

Missing Postscript font characters

Anastomoosi
      Hi fellows,

I bought "ITC Friz Qouadrata Baltic Regular Italic" Postscript font from fonts.com. The font map includes Latin Extended A characters, but I'm not able to see all of them in Flash! In Photoshop CS3 characters work just fine. Characters are šŠ and žŽ but there may be some others also.

I've tried to embed all the characters in Flash but it doesn't help. I can't even type the characters in static field - what can I do? I'm useing Win XP.
        • 1. Re: Missing Postscript font characters
          Level 7
          Anastomoosi wrote:
          > Hi fellows,
          >
          > I bought "ITC Friz Qouadrata Baltic Regular Italic" Postscript font from
          > fonts.com. The font map includes Latin Extended A characters, but I'm not able
          > to see all of them in Flash! In Photoshop CS3 characters work just fine.
          > Characters are ?? and ?? but there may be some others also.
          >
          > I've tried to embed all the characters in Flash but it doesn't help. I can't
          > even type the characters in static field - what can I do?

Not all fonts are fully supported and you can't compare flash and ps, two totally
          different applications which handles fonts in very different manner.
          Try to type that text in some other text document where you can see the character
          correctly, and paste it in to flash. If still does not work, then you out of luck.
          You will need to try different font.

--
          Best Regards

Urami

--
          "Never play Leap-Frog with a Unicorn."

<urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>
          • 2. Re: Missing Postscript font characters
            Anastomoosi Level 1
            Ok, thanks Urami,

I received the following answer from fonts.com customer service:

"The version of Friz Quadrata Baltic that you have purchased is correctly encoded to Windows Baltic codepage 1257 but the fact that it is a non-Unicode PostScript font being used in a Windows Unicode environment is most likely causing the problem you describe. We would suggest you consider switching to either Friz Quadrata Pro or Friz Quadrata Com. Both are Unicode OpenType fonts, the "Pro" is a PostScript based OT font and the "Com" is a TrueType based OT font. The "Pro" has an extended Latin character set which incorporates codepages 1250 (CE), 1252 (Western), 1254 (Turkish) and (1257). The "Com" font has a slightly larger character set which includes the codepages already mentioned plus extra characters for less common languages such as Maltese, Moldavian, Welsh etc."