Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

making a vector mask in CC 2017

Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I was trying to make a vector mask by using the pen tool to just draw a simple rectangle so that the layer below would show up. What I went to use the pen tool to make the first anchor point the whole top layer disappeared and showed my bottom layer that I wanted to show through the rectangle. Instead of the bottom layer showing through the rectangle it showed the other layer cut out and placed in the rectangle shape over the bottom layer. Version CC 2017 has quite a few differences in how to create the results you want vs the version of CS6 that the online course I am learning with uses. Such as when I was trying to do a layer mask and completing the step to have the beach scene below show up behind the layer with the people I had to click reveal all/ hide all instead of the instruction they told me which was click the create mask icon on the layers panel.

Here is an example:

bb13pyramid_castvectormask.jpg

I wanted the beach to show up in the square behind the layer with the people What did I do wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You explanation was not 100% clear however it sounds like you need to look at the pen setting for Combine or Subtract shape

1. If you have vector mask  and want the top layer in the square

Then set you pen tool as shown to set the mask to show the top layer in a square and the bottom layer around it

2. If you have a vector mask but want the top layer outside the square

Set the pen tool as shown

I hope that helps you

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That must have been what I had it set to. I was not sure what those settings meant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines