2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2008 6:46 PM by jfutyb

Hulu FlashPlayer horizontal flicker(seam or tear)

jfutyb
      Hulu FlashPlayer horizontal flicker(seam or tear)

I have been using www.Hulu.com on my Vista 64bit system, that uses the Abobe FlashPlayer
      plugin. I have read about people having flash stuttering problems which I also
      have PLUS a flickering problem. Netflix plays fine, no stutter and windows media Streaming and DVDS do
      also on my laptop. I have upgraded by video card drivers and my bios and flash plugin(9,0,124,0)
      I have an nvidia MCP67M(geforce 7150M) and an HP dv2845se system with 4gig of RAM, and
      a 10mb download internet connection. I only see this flicker on Hulu's site playing any video,
      below are two video samples. What I see besides the stuttering is a horizontal flicker
      randomly in the video. It seems to happen more on fast moving video. Its a flicker where I
      see a horizontal overlap or seam or tear . I found out after much testing
      that I also can get the flicker on the www.hulu.com home page by quickly clicking the right preview arrow ">"
      on the snapshots, I see the flicker happen as described just in the preview
      window only when advancing quickly to the next preview snapshot. I think the key here is that I
      can reproduce the problem without playing a video, by just paging through the preview snapshots on the hulu homepage.
      This happens with IE or Firefox, any one have any idea?

thanks

http://www.hulu.com/watch/17224/niptuck-candy-richards#x-0,vepisode,1

http://www.hulu.com/watch/13419/dirt-welcome-to-normal#x-0,vepisode,1
        • 1. Re: Hulu FlashPlayer horizontal flicker(seam or tear)
          jaggedphx
          I have the same issues you described, the horizontal seam flicker with any type of movement. At first I only noticed it when watching hulu full screen, but I can also see it when playing in the default player size. I've tried updating to the new Flash Player 10 beta and latest video drivers, but no luck. I'm really disappointed that I can't watch Hulu on my new HTPC when my laptop can run it full screen beautifully. Netflix's Watch Now runs great, so it appears to be a problem with flash video as Netflix uses another technology.

Below is what I have installed on the HTPC. I am also on a very fast broadband connection and I can rule out bandwidth problems because it plays perfectly streamed on my laptop over the same network connection.

Motherboard
          Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2

Processor
          AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz Dual Core

Memory
          G.SKILL 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800 Dual Channel

Hard Drive
          Western Digital Caviar GP WD7500AACS 750GB 5400-7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Video
          Diamond 3450PE512SB Radeon HD 3450 512MB PCIex16

Tuner
          Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 1178 (x2)

OS
          Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 32-bit
          • 2. Hulu FlashPlayer horizontal flicker(seam or tear)
            jfutyb Level 1
            Thanks for the reply, its about time some one raised the same issue, now is Adobe going to address this!