4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2017 2:44 AM by wobertc

Export shrinks image dimensions

karticus123

Hi,

I've been using Lightroom for a couple of years now (now CC rental version). Suddenly the images I export shrink in dimensions. My camera (5d Mk IV) takes 30 MP files. However, when I export them, it looks as if I have set the maximum side length to 1600. However, I did not do that.

I can manually set the side length, however that enlarges image dimensions artifically where I did a crop.

Anyone with the same problem? Any ideas?

Kind regards

Konstantin

• 1. Re: Export shrinks image dimensions
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

If the pixel dimensions are reduced when you export, then it is either-

1. You have the option to 'Resize' checked 'on'  in the Export dialog, (and some dimension info, like 1600 long edge), or

2. You have done a crop, which will reduce the pixel size dimensions (unless you do an enlarge re-size in Export)

Note: we are talking pixel dimensions here- nothing to do with file size. You mention 30Mb files, but this has no relevance to exported images (unless you export the 'original' )

• 2. Re: Export shrinks image dimensions
            karticus123 Level 1

Hi,

sorry for being incorrect: I meant 30 megapixel when I referred to my camera.

I did neither check the resize button nor did I do the crop on the images in question. That is why I'm so perplexed.

Any other ideas?

Kind regards

Konstantin

• 3. Re: Export shrinks image dimensions
              karticus123 Level 1

I just found the solution: I have lost my server connection so the export function used the preview files instead of the original files. What a bummer! I spent so many hours yesterday night. Why did Lightroom not warn me?

• 4. Re: Export shrinks image dimensions
                wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Thanks for posting your own correct answer.

I have learnt something also from your experience. And perhaps another reason why it is not recommended to store originals on a NAS.

I agree-  "Why did Lightroom not warn me?".  I experience the same on my 'home' system. Seems it allows us to export images smaller than we might want. (my export test without resize was 2560 long edge from a smart preview image of 6016 long edge original)

Perhaps log a suggestion for an Adobe fix in the export module over at- Photoshop Family Customer Community