6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2017 5:28 AM by Kasyan Servetsky

Merging multiple documents into one, but losing cross-references

lilis_skyremix

Hi,

I'm trying to merge several INDD documents into one editable INDD document. Moving pages is easy, with the Page panel and Move order.
      However, the cross-references for cross-documents go haywire after I move it, losing destinations and such.

Is there a way (or a script) that could merge all documents into one and update the cross-references for the new (single) document?
      I'm losing several of hours of worktime since we have to manually adjust it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Merging multiple documents into one, but losing cross-references
          Eric Dumas Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

have you considered creating a book instead of merging the pages?

• 2. Re: Merging multiple documents into one, but losing cross-references
            Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

Yes. it's possible to solve this issue by scripting. I just wrote a couple of scripts. Going to post them here with explanation and sample files.

— Kas

• 3. Re: Merging multiple documents into one, but losing cross-references
              Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

First of all, let’s look under the hood to see what happens when we make cross-references in InDesign.

Here I posted the sample files and scripts used in the testing described below.

I created a new document Test-1.indd and added three anchor points using the default names offered by InDesign: Anchor 1, Anchor 2 and Anchor 3. Then I created three cross-references pointing to them.

20-03-2017 18-08-40.png

Finally, I duplicated resaved the file as Test-2.indd

From the scripting point of view, cross-reference (which we see in the cross-references panel) is a variety of the hyperlink object. Hyperlink contains two other objects: destination and source. All the three have names which are generated by InDesign.

20-03-2017 13-17-34.png

Let’s open Test-1.indd and run this script. (List hyperlink names.jsx)

Main();

function Main() {
                  var hyperlink,
                  str ="",
                  doc = app.activeDocument,
                  hyperlinks = doc.hyperlinks;

for (var i = 0; i < hyperlinks.length; i++) {
                      hyperlink = hyperlinks[i];
                      str += "#" + (i + 1) + " - Hyperlink: " + hyperlink.name + ", destination: " + hyperlink.destination.name + ", source: " + hyperlink.source.name + "\r";
                  }

alert(str);
              }

We see that InDesign uses some default base names adding incrementing numbers at the end.

20-03-2017 18-39-28.png

Now let’s cut the text frame from Test-1.indd, paste it into Test-2.indd (note it has six cross-references now) and run the script again.

20-03-2017 18-47-53.png

Note that InDesign automatically resolved the conflict – both documents had the same set of cross-references using exactly the same names – by adding next available order numbers.

Here’s the root of the problem: when we move text/pages to another document, cut/copy-paste text, rename files, etc. the names can be changed and in turn destinations can be lost.

My idea of solving it is as follows:

Before making any manipulations, which can break cross-references – e.g. moving pages to another document – we run a script which generates a unique name (13-14 digits) and renames each cross-reference (in scripting terms: hyperlink, destination and source).

When cross-references get broken, we open all the documents and run another script which loops through them fixing broken cross-references which it finds by unique names.

Let’s illustrate this with an example:

I created a test file -- Starting Point.indd -- with 15 cross-references. Note the default names

20-03-2017 19-16-09.png

Now I run the Rename cross-references script: all names are unique numbers (Renamed xRefs.indd)

20-03-2017 19-03-41.png

Now I move each page to another document and open them all, all cross-references are OK (green circle) so far.

20-03-2017 19-17-05.png

But if I close and rename the files, or move them to other folders, they become corrupted.

20-03-2017 19-16-35.png

Finally, I run the Fix cross-references script and all the cross-references become normal again.

Of course, this doesn't handle a situation when a few cross-references point to the same destination, but this also can be handled by script: off the top of my head: the first script may create a txt/csv file listing the pairs cross-reference—destination, the second one may read it to restore broken cross-references.

Regards,
              Kas

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Merging multiple documents into one, but losing cross-references
                lilis_skyremix Level 1

It originally is a book, but needs to be merged for other purposes.

• 5. Re: Merging multiple documents into one, but losing cross-references
                  lilis_skyremix Level 1

First of all, thank you for posting with such kindness. I'll try the scripts you've shared, and hope for the best.

I'll come back with the results. Thanks again!

• 6. Re: Merging multiple documents into one, but losing cross-references
                    Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

However I can't promise it will work for you since I haven't seen your files and have no idea what settings you use for creating your cross-references and what happens to them after data merge.

— Kas