1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 29, 2008 9:13 AM by Newsgroup_User

id a symbol

leenwa@fayetteville
      This is a very vague question, but being a newbie I do not know how to look up info if I don't know what it is called.
      What is the circle with a plus sign in it called? How do I move the location in reference to the object it has with it?
        • 1. Re: id a symbol
          Level 7
          leenwa,

> This is a very vague question, but being a newbie I do
          > not know how to look up info if I don't know what it
          > is called.

Fair enough. :)

> What is the circle with a plus sign in it called? How do
          > I move the location in reference to the object it has with it?

I think you're talking about the circle and plus you see when you select
          a symbol on the stage (or in some timeline). That's actually two entities:
          the circle is the transformation point and the plus is the registration
          point.

The transformation point is the hinge, or pivot, around which your
          transformations (scaling, skewing, etc.) are made. Select your symbol with
          the Free Transform tool, for example, and you'll see that you can stretch it
          and resize it, and the circle indicates how those transformations are made.
          With the Free Transform tool engaged, you can click that circle and drag it,
          to change your pivot. Watch what happens as you hold down (and
          alternatively release) the Shift key when you move the resize handles.

The registration point is the (0,0) point of the symbol. When you enter
          that symbol's timeline -- by double-clicking it on the Stage or the
          Library -- keep an eye on the X and Y values in the Property inspector. If
          you add new artwork to the timeline of your layer, you'll see that the
          position of the new artwork takes its bearings from that little plus sign.
          To move that plus, you'll have to think in reverse ... because the plus
          itself can't be moved. Instead, select all the artwork inside that symbol
          and move your combined selection.

David Stiller
          Co-author, Foundation Flash CS3 for Designers
          http://tinyurl.com/2k29mj
          "Luck is the residue of good design."