8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2017 1:11 PM by davescm

gif frame delay

madmiz

so, for a month Ive been having this problem with changing the frame delay time. whenever I make a gif I set every frame to 0.05. then I convert it to video to sharpen. but I noticed if I convert to video the gif becomes slower than it is supposed to. so I converted it back to frame animation and found that the frame timing is 0.07. I tried to set every frame to 0.04 and convert to vid then back to frame animation just to check if the timing has changed and it did. it is set to 0.03. so basically I can't change the timing to anything else except 0.07 and 0.03. which is too fast/slow for me. I thought maybe it was a storage problem, but I have 18gb which isn't too low. Ive had lower before and my ps cc still worked fine. any ideas what the problem may be ? (note that Ive updated to the 2017 version but the issue is still there)

• 1. Re: gif frame delay
          davescm Adobe Community Professional

Have you tried building your frame animation with a frame rate that converts exactly(or at least closely) to your video timeline rate? For example 0.033 secs to 29.97FPS or 0.04secs to 25FPS etc.

Dave

• 2. Re: gif frame delay
            madmiz Level 1

yeah I tried. speed just increases. and if I try changing the fps too high or too low the gif becomes laggy.

• 3. Re: gif frame delay

That sounds strange. I've just tried this on CC2017.0.1.

I started with a 30 frame animation set to 0.033 secs per frame (which showed as 0.03 seconds on each frame thumbnail). At that rate it should last 1 second.

The frames played in the timeline slower than the expected 1 second but exporting to GIF played the 30 frame loop correctly every second.

Converted to video it showed in the timeline as 1 second long and also played at that rate in the timeline

Converting back to frames, it was the same length as before with each frame thumbnail showing 0.03 seconds

Dave

• 4. Re: gif frame delay
                madmiz Level 1

Yeah I did the same and youre right the frame time is the same when I convert back from video. But like I said, The only frame times that would still be the same are 0.03 and 0.07. I tried out 0.06 and played with the fps but the gif doesnt turn out play smoothly when saving it for web.

• 5. Re: gif frame delay

Hi - the back and forth conversion won't work well with 0.06 secs as that would require a framerate of 16.66 when converted to video. If you use one of the standard framerates, it has to create or drop frames in the conversion and you will start to see that jerkiness in the round trip.

Dave

• 6. Re: gif frame delay

I just tried the round trip with 0.06 sec frames and you can make it work.

Set the video timeline to 1/0.06 = 16.67 fps (you need to use the Custom option to set that rate) . On converting back to frames they come back set to 0.06.

Dave

• 7. Re: gif frame delay
                      madmiz Level 1

It finally worked! thank you very much Dave. and sorry for the trouble.

• 8. Re: gif frame delay

No trouble at all - glad we got you there

Dave