• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copying files to an external hardrive

Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When sending a program to external h/d  for back up only a portion is being transferred over. Where do I look for all the files in that program being copied over?

I'm using Premier Elements 12 and an H.P. p/c

Thanks,

Gil

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to back up data or the program itself?

Are you using a backup application or just copying files?

If you are trying to backup the program, you can't just copy files and then copy them back to reinstall.  You need to do a regular installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I click on the program icon "Pre" and "sent it" to the external drive but the files are small. If something happens to my P/C I want to have enough info data to reinstall. To answer your question I'm not really sure what I'm doing wether I want to back up files or data or the differance between the two?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/camera+shy+again  wrote

I click on the program icon "Pre" and "sent it" to the external drive but the files are small.  If something happens to my P/C I want to have enough info data to reinstall. 

You can't do it that way.

What you need to do is to have either the installation disc or the installation file of the program.

You can download the installation file here:

Download Adobe Premiere Elements 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10

That will install the Premiere Elements program, but not your project files or media files.

https://forums.adobe.com/people/camera+shy+again  wrote

I'm not really sure what I'm doing wether I want to back up files or data or the differance between the two?

Data means project files and media.

The project file is the .prel file which contains your project, but not any media used in it.

Media means any photos, videos, or other files used in your project.

The project files and media files can be copied to an external drive and then copied back to a new or the original drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Peru Bob.  He is correct but leaves out a backup option.

Under the File menu is the Project Archive choice.  There is a good explanation of the options here: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/archiving-projects.html

Another approach is to put everything related to the project in a dedicated folder for each project.  That includes copies of the source files, the project itself and all the "scratch files" (Edit > Preferences > Scratch Disks).   You can then move or copy that folder in its entirety.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick response. I did the Archiving project "Copy Project" Into an external drive. Followed procedure all appeared to worked well. The blue time bar showed the copying progress etc. Took a few minutes. When it was done I opened up the folder I made for the project to find it empty of files. ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are on a PC.  Can you use Explorer to search for .prel files?  Maybe the project copy ended up in the wrong folder. 

On mine, it makes a new folder inside the folder I pick.  The new folder gets a name related to the project name.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My son is coming over.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines