6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2008 11:49 AM by haroldathughes

Installation Error

marysvillek
      I tried installing the eBay application with Adobe Air, and got the error message "Adobe AIR could not be installed because another application is already being installed. Complete the first installation before proceeding with this one." I also tried installing Adobe Air by itself and got the same error message. Can someone tell me what to do? Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Installation Error
          Oliver Goldman Adobe Employee
          Close the other installer that's running. If you can't find one running, reboot should do the trick.

• 2. Re: Installation Error
            haroldathughes
            I'm having an installation problem with the redistributable installer. When I package it within my program's installer (which only just triggers the AIR installer, and is valid under the redistributable license), it gives me this error:

Adobe AIR could not be installed because another application is already being installed. Complete the first installation before proceeding with this one.

According to the agreement, I should be able to do this. In fact, it's one of the reasons why there is a redistributable version of the installer, to distrbute it as part of other installers. Is there a command line switch to make it not run this check? I tried the silent install command line switch (-silent), and it didn't change anything. It doesn't give me the error, but the install still fails. Does anyone know how to solve this?

If not, again, I don't see the point of having a redistributable installer. It's supposed to be allowed to be triggered from other installers, but the program itself blocks this. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me.
            • 3. Re: Installation Error
              Oliver Goldman Adobe Employee
              It's Windows Installer, not AIR, that enforces this restriction. Note that it isn't really about the number of installer programs running at the same time, but rather the number of installation *transactions* running at once. Each installer typically runs one such transaction, but the transaction isn't running the entire time the program is running.

There are two possible things going on here:

1) There's another, unrelated windows installer transaction running at the same time you're trying this.

2) Your installer is invoking the AIR installer during its own install transaction, instead of either before or after it.

Hope this helps,
              Oliver

• 4. Re: Installation Error
                haroldathughes Level 1
                The error didn't come from the Windows Installer. The error message appears directly inside the Adobe AIR installation window. See the screen shot:

http://client.hughes-stl.com/harold/adobeair.jpg

The installer is invoking AIR during its own installation transaction, yes. It is doing so on purpose. Installing AIR is a requirement for this application. I would like to make sure that if AIR fails to install for some reason that my application backs stops its own install.

Is there a way to stop AIR from making this check during its install? I can't find a list of command line options for the redistributable AIR install anywhere.
                • 5. Re: Installation Error
                  haroldathughes Level 1
                  I did find a list of command line options, but I still can't seem to get past the "installer in an installer" error issue.
                  • 6. Re: Installation Error
                    haroldathughes Level 1
                    Nevermind. The answer is that I can't chain the two together like that. It's unfortunate, but I don't see any workaround. It would be great to have one install fail if the other fails, but I will just have to run them unchained.