• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

mms.cfg configured but still getting intermitent Flash Player Update prompt

Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Experts:

I need help to stop Flash Player Updater prompt. I have been deploying Flash Player for 2 years via SCCM 2012 with no issues. Starting 2017 January release, the mms.cfg does not seems to work anymore.

My Scenario:

Windows 7 x64

Flash Player 24.0.0.221 (outdated)

mms.cfg located in C:\Windows\Syswow64\Macromed\Flash And C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash (solution found in other Adobe Forum thread)

mms.cfg settings:

AutoUpdateDisable=1

SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0

I have done:

- removed the Flash Player Settings Manager from Control Panel,

- removed Task scheduler "Adobe Flash Player Updater".
- Adobe Flash Player Updater set to "Manual" in Services.msc.

Despite all the above being done, I still have standard users complain on intermittent prompt for Flash Player update. It did stopped the prompt when I placed mms.cfg into System32\macromed\Flash folder last month before deploying 24.0.0.221. However, starting March, when version 25.0.0.127 was released, the same user starts getting the same update prompt again. I could not simulate the prompt nor find any other solutions from other forums. Did read something about Background Update Service. How do I completely stop it? Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kathereeneee

Are you using the MSI or EXE installers?  What plugin type (ActiveX, NPAPI, and/or PPAPI) are you deploying?

• Flash Player Settings Manager in Control Panel: While this does have the ability to set the update option, it also has other Flash Player settings, as such, it's not advisable to remove this.
  • Adobe Flash Player Updater in Task Scheduler: This is used by the Background Update mechanism, it's not used at all by the Notification Update mechanism
  • Adobe Flash Player Updater in Services.msc: This is used by the Background Update mechanism, it's not used at all by the Notification Update mechanism.

Background Update Service is completely separate update mechanism from the Notification  Update mechanism, which is what the screenshot is referencing.

Please provide the FlashInstall.log files saved at C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash AND C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash.  Upload the files to cloud.acrobat.com/send using the instructions at How to share a document and post the link to the uploaded files.

On an impacted system, please check the following 2 registry entries:

• HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce: Does FlashPlayerUpdate exist?
  • HKCU\Software\Macromedia: Does FlashPlayerUpdate entry exist?

Thank you.

--

Maria

<edited: Clicked Post to soon>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi m_vargas ,

Thanks for your swift response.

I am deploying Flash Player ActiveX and PPAPI using MSI installers.

I have uploaded the FlashInstall.logs from C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash AND C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash.

URL: Shared Files - Acrobat.com

Also, I have checked on the registry entries, found no FlashPlayerUpdate entry.

Thank you.

Kathereene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the log files and screenshot  The screenshots are from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive, but the FlashPlayerUpdate reg entry I'm asking about is in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive.  Can you please post a screenshot of the expanded HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macromedia entry.  For example:

Is it possible the mms.cfg file has a hidden .txt file extension on it? Please do the following:

1. Launch command-prompt window
  2. at prompt, type: cd C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash
  3. at prompt, type: dir
  4. copy and paste the directory listing

Also, the solution you found, to put the mms.cfg file in both sysWOW64 and system32 directories is no longer necessary.  This was a work-around for a bug that was fixed some time ago.

Please upload the mms.cfg file you are using to cloud.acrobat.com/send and either post the link in your reply, or private message it to me.  If you send it via PM, please include a link to this discussion topic.

The next time the notification dialog displays, before dismissing it, launch the Task Manager and look for the FlashUtil entry.  What is the name of the FlashUtil file that is in memory?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines