0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2008 11:33 AM by Stefan Fr

Embedding Fonts

Stefan Fr
      I'm working on a Flash project, in which I embed several characters from the fonts "Arial" and "Monotype Corsiva". Arial is also embedded in Bold. I do this by clicking the "Embed..." button in the IDE and typing out the characters I wish to embed. I use static, dynamic, input text fields with from 8pts to 14pts, in case it matters. This works fine, and I can access the embedded fonts throughout the movie.

Here's the problem: When I generate a size report, I see

Arial Bold 10806 !"#$%&'()*+,-./01234567...qrstuvwxyz{|}~µ–—€
      Monotype Corsiva 12938 !"#$%&'()*+,-./01234567...qrstuvwxyz{|}~µ–—€
      Arial 12311 !"#$%&'()*+,-./01234567...qrstuvwxyz{|}~µ–—€
      Arial 9 pts 9610 !"#$%&'()*+,-./01234567...qrstuvwxyz{|}~µ–—€

I understand why "Arial Bold" is there. However, I do not see why "Arial 9 pts" in there.

The reason why it puzzles me is that I use many different font sizes for the Monotype Corsiva font, and it only shows up once. Furthermore, there's a dynamic textfield which uses Arial at 10 pts (and most dynamic fields are 8 pts), yet that doesn't get embedded. What makes Flash embed the Arial font again for the 9 pts size, and how can I prevent it from doing that?

Stuff I tried:
      - I used a JSFL file which changes the font size of every field to 8 pts. This results in Arial and "Arial 8pts" getting embedded.
      - I used a JSFL file and changed the font size of every field to a different, random size. This results in all those different sizes getting embedded.
      - I added a text field which uses Arial at 10 pts, and nothing additional gets embedded.
      - I added a text field which uses Monotype Corsiva at 10pts, and one at 16pts, and nothing additional gets embedded.

Thank you for your time and help