I have moved this post to the RoboHelp HTML forum as I doubt the issue is related to the layout.
It is not something I have seen reported before so it's going to be trial and error.
Create a backup first. I always recommend creating the backup as a zip file. That prevents you opening it accidentally and working on it before you realise it was the backup. This way you always have a clean backup that can be used to create a new clean copy time after time.
Nest delete the CPD file, reopen the project and try again with the same layout.
Then try with a different HTML 5 layout, then with a webhelp layout.
Post back where that gets you.
See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information
Thank you for your reply!
We are using RH 11 and work on a locally stored RH project which is then committed to an SVN (versioning) server.
So, there is a new development, I found the problem. I will describe below, just in case anyone else runs into the same difficulty:
It seems that the issue described above only occured for my colleague. So, I checked out the latest version of the project (committed by her). I am the one who created the project and the Map IDs, I think I should mention this. So, when I build the help it is OK. Then, when she checks out my version and locally generates the output, the csh.js is overwritten and the Map ID info is deleted. Even though the *.h file created by me is in the project, when you open the file itself (with notepad) everything looks OK.
But, then we opened the Map ID file from RoboHelp and saw that even though all the Map IDs and Map # were there, there were no topics assigned. I did that when I created the project and assumed that this will be there automatically when my colleague opens the same project locally in RoboHelp. It seems not. So, manually assigning the topics in her local RoboHelp project solved the issue.
Thank you again, Peter, and I am sorry for wasting your time!
zitakocs - where did the content come from in the RH project? I ask because I get the same issue occurring in my RH projects when I've imported FrameMaker content into it and don't immediately edit the MapIDs. If I save the project and then come back to it, all the topic titles are blank (so I've learned to always take the time to finish my edits right away).
Peter, we don't have a fresh copy, we just take the latest version from the server, save it locally, edit, build and put it back on the server.
Jeff_Coatsworth - the content was created from scratch by me, in RoboHelp. There was nothing imported, all new. But, it seems that this particular "setting" (assigning the map IDs to topics) has to be done manually in every instance of the RoboHelp project. I have no idea why, since there already was an up-to-date version of the Map ID (*.h) file and the csh.js file when the new user (my colleague) first opened the RoboHelp project.
I just did a quick fresh test project to illustrate the effect. Here's the MapID screen after doing the import - all looks good:
Topics are all linked nicely with the Map ID and Map #. Then I save the project, close it, close RH11, restart it and load the project. Now here's what the MapID screen looks like:
Note the big blank now where the Topics used to appear. The .h file is unchanged. I've seen this happen since RH9.
That is exactly what happened! I am not sure whether this is a bug, or it is expected behavior, however it is a bit inconvenient and it took quite some time to figure out what the issue actually was...