3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2017 10:54 AM by try67

Bounding Boxes

franc64874429 Level 1

Hi,

I hope someone can help!

I have template PDFs created in InDesign for a client, which they can then edit the copy of in Acrobat. However, Acrobat 'instinctively' determines the bounding boxes in a PDF (so often is a bit random, or groups numerous sections of text together that need to be individually edited). Is there a way for the bounding boxes to mimic the ones it was created with? Hoping that there's a solution, rather than rewriting parts of the document in Acrobat which seems a little ridiculous.

Thanks!

Fran

• 1. Re: Bounding Boxes
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

No, there isn't. And you shouldn't be editing the file in Acrobat in the first place if you have access to the original InDesign file. You should be editing that file and then creating a new PDF file from it. Editing a PDF should be a last resort step, not a part of any healthy DTP workflow.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Bounding Boxes
            franc64874429 Level 1

Couldn't agree more - the client wants to be able to edit themselves though, with no access to or knowledge of indesign, so not something I've ever had to do before(!) but trying to make it work for them.

• 3. Re: Bounding Boxes
              try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

They need to understand that PDF should be the last stop in the workflow, unless they want to add form fields or comments or something like that. Any major editing needs to be done before converting the file to PDF. Anyway, there's nothing you can do about how Acrobat identifies those texts. If they want to edit it in Acrobat they'll have to make do with what it gives them.