4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2017 6:44 AM by dj_paige

Moving Catalogues

dannyk72168709

Hi Folks,

Because of the volume of photos I have built up over the years they have become too disorganised and cumbersome for backup purposes. I would like to move my entire photo collection from various hard drives and locations to one central folder which will then be broken up into sub folders based around composition topics like holiday etc. This way when I want to backup I can just select the root folder to backup my entire collection; including catalogues.

My issue begins with not wanting to redo all my catalogues once I copy and paste everything to the structured folder. I have noticed that not every group of folders seems to have a catalogue anymore and some over time have become corrupt. Is there a simple way to migrate everything and have the software rebuild catalogues based around my new folder structure?

I am using Windows 10 and have Lightroom 4.4 Camera Raw 7.4.

Many thanks for any help offered.

• 1. Re: Moving Catalogues
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you talking about multiple Lightroom catalogs, or are you talking about folders of images on different hard drives? If multiple catalogs, how many different catalogs are we talking about?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Moving Catalogues
            dj_paige Level 9

The idea of having all photos in subfolders under a single parent, for ease of backup, is a good idea. However, there is no easy way to do this if your photos are "too disorganized and cumbersome" for backup purposes. Brute force, move one folder, or a group of similar folders at a time, is probably the only way to get there. The best way to move folders of photos is described in "Part 2 -- Updating Folder Location" of this document. Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

I would like to move my entire photo collection from various hard drives and locations to one central folder which will then be broken up into sub folders based around composition topics like holiday etc.

I would suggest something different. Move the existing folders to a single parent folder as discussed above. Do not re-organize the folders after that into "topics like holiday etc." Instead, after the move, you can go ahead and organize by keywords and other metadata, instead of moving photos into folders.

My issue begins with not wanting to redo all my catalogues once I copy and paste everything to the structured folder. I have noticed that not every group of folders seems to have a catalogue anymore and some over time have become corrupt. Is there a simple way to migrate everything and have the software rebuild catalogues based around my new folder structure?

I have to admit I'm not clear what you are attempting to describe here. If it means you want to start a new catalog, then please don't do this, use the method in my first paragraph to keep your existing catalog while moving the photos, and use keywords and other metadata to achieve detailed organization.

And here's a global alternative to everything I have discussed above: since you appear to know where all your photos are, even if they are "too disorganized and cumbersome", tell your backup software make backups of all of these folder locations. This is far easier than moving folders and photos around. And you only have to set up your backup software once. And by adding keywords and other metadata to your photos in Lightroom, you can find all "vacation" photos easily and quickly, regardless of how scattered they are on your computer. (This assumes you have a single catalog, which apparently you do not, and a very strong suggestion would be to combine all of your photos into a single catalog).

• 3. Re: Moving Catalogues
              dannyk72168709 Level 1

Many thanks Folks. I will attempt to do this by using keywords and keep the folder names the same for now. Your help is much appreciated.

• 4. Re: Moving Catalogues
                dj_paige Level 9

dannyk72168709  wrote

Many thanks Folks. I will attempt to do this by using keywords and keep the folder names the same for now. Your help is much appreciated.

The recommendation also included having all photos in a single catalog. Keywords and other metadata are much less effective if you have many catalogs.

1 person found this helpful