1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 23, 2017 10:01 AM by dj_paige

Folders in LR do not match folders on external hard drive

okiephotag

I am new to LR (moved from Aperture) and I am having a hard time learning the ropes. My problem is that when I connect my camera and download the photos, the collection folders I have in LR do not match the collection folders in my LR photos folder on my external hard drive. I have a collection entitled "2017" and subcategories named "family," "school," etc. So my folders are not congruent. On the ehd the photos are all just in a "2017" folder. What is the best way to import my photos so that the categories match? Thank you. Laura

• 1. Re: Folders in LR do not match folders on external hard drive
          dj_paige Level 9

okiephotag  wrote

I am new to LR (moved from Aperture) and I am having a hard time learning the ropes. My problem is that when I connect my camera and download the photos, the collection folders I have in LR do not match the collection folders in my LR photos folder on my external hard drive. I have a collection entitled "2017" and subcategories named "family," "school," etc. So my folders are not congruent. On the ehd the photos are all just in a "2017" folder. What is the best way to import my photos so that the categories match? Thank you. Laura

There's no such thing as a "collection folder". Could you describe exactly what you are referring to (or show us a screen capture)?

Whatever you are referring to, Lightroom's folders do not have to match the actual folders on the hard drive, as Lightroom is not a file browser like Windows Explorer or Mac Finder. Lightroom will only show you folders that have imported photos; it will not show you the rest of your folders.

The best way to make Lightroom's folders match the hard drive is to import EVERY photo (yes, EVERY, as in 100%, no exceptions) in your photo library on the hard disk. And thereafter don't move photos or folders from here to there.