2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2017 2:07 PM by Stephen_A_Marsh

Pixel Dimension Discrepancy Btw XMP and NEF

pcmitchell

So I'm an archivist and I received a CD of .nef and .xmp files from a customer. These were images from two separate events - we'll call them Set A and Set B.

So Set A totally checked out, no discrepancies, everything's good.

Set B seemed to have different values in the xmp files than in the nef files for pixel dimensions.

For instance:

Image 1

Open NEF in Photoshop, check Image Size, Pixel Dimensions: 2700 x 2100.

Open XMP, check exif:PixelXDimension and exif:PixelYDimension fields: 4200 x 3300.

Image 2

Open NEF in Photoshop, check Image Size, Pixel Dimensions: 2500 x 1800.

Open XMP, check exif:PixelXDimension and exif:PixelYDimension fields: 4200 x 3300.

So you see, not only are the values in the xmp files not matching the values in the nef files, the xmp values are the same wrong values every time.

I can't figure out what would have caused this. I'm not a photographer nor am I very experienced with Adobe products, so I appreciate any help you all can offer. The customer had no answer for me. She said they never touch the xmp files. When I tried contacting Adobe customer service, they really couldn't help either.

• 1. Re: Pixel Dimension Discrepancy Btw XMP and NEF
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi pcmitchell,

If it is only the Pixel dimension that is different in both the sets for all NEF's, then open them in Camera raw.

What happens if you open and edit NEF's using camera raw on Photoshop CC and then click done. You will find that you can't just open up the new .xmp file that was created. So what you do is go to Photoshop. File > Open > Go to Image.CR2 or Image.NEF > Click > Control-Click on Image.xmp > Open

At that point, Photoshop will open up the photo where you had been when you finished. The .xmp is your saved work but you can't open it up unless you are also opening the original image.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Akash

• 2. Re: Pixel Dimension Discrepancy Btw XMP and NEF
            Stephen_A_Marsh Adobe Community Professional

Using ExifTool, one should be able to batch copy the 2 correct fields from the raw file into the XMP file. Let me know if you would like to explore this option.