Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Circles with gradiant swatch stroke are "cut off" in some PDF viewers

Enthusiast ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Using a gradient swatch as stroke setting on some circles, the left and right "edges" of the circle are cut off, when viewing the exported PDF file in an old PDF viewer, see image.

Capture.JPG

The circle in the middle is without stroke, and a normal stroke also works fine.

I've tried a number of different settings in the PDF Export settings.

Is there anything to do about this, or are some PDF readers just not made to show gradient strokes? This is an old "Foxit" reader, not updated, so I'm well aware that it might be the cause and that there is no other solution than to upgrade the reader (please, no "smart" comments about that). I just want my pdf files to show up exactly the same no matter the reader, and to ask you if there is any way to use gradient swatches without risking these effects if people have older PDF viewers.

I'm using the built-in export function in InDesign CS6.

The circles show up uncut in Acrobat Pro.

Thanks,

Andreas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

if there is any way to use gradient swatches without risking these effects if people have older PDF viewers.

If this is not going to offset printing you could try a flattened sRGB PDF. Like this where compatibility is Acrobat 4

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 4.41.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if there is any way to use gradient swatches without risking these effects if people have older PDF viewers.

If this is not going to offset printing you could try a flattened sRGB PDF. Like this where compatibility is Acrobat 4

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 4.41.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checking the "Simulate Overprint" made it come out right!

Could you explain why the right and left sides of the circles were cut when using a gradient swatch (built from swatches of Process type, CMYK mode)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I assume it's because the PDF readers you are using are not capable of handling live transparency. Also, if there's no color management sRGB will provide more consistent color than CMYK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines