17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2009 3:24 AM by Newsgroup_User

ASP pages do not display

mtrueblood Level 1
      I have developed an ASP site. Everything worked fine on my local machine. When I uploaded the site to my GoDaddy hosting package, the pages with dynamic coding do not display. I get the error of:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

/sitename/contactus/index.asp, line 130

Please help!

Thanks - Matt
        • 1. Re: ASP pages do not display
          Level 7
          This sounds like GoDaddy has not created the Data Source Name for you -

> [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default
          > driver specified

Have you asked them to create that? What DSN did you use in your local
          testing?

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"mtrueblood" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gjla0n$1j7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have developed an ASP site. Everything worked fine on my local machine.
          >When
          > I uploaded the site to my GoDaddy hosting package, the pages with dynamic
          > coding do not display. I get the error of:
          >
          > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
          >
          > [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default
          > driver specified
          >
          > /sitename/contactus/index.asp, line 130
          >
          > Please help!
          >
          > Thanks - Matt
          >
          >

• 2. Re: ASP pages do not display
            mtrueblood Level 1
            They have created one actually, I think where I need the help is how and where to use the one they gave me within my site. I have tried to use the connection name they gave me, but haven't found the right combintation.

Thanks - Matt
            • 3. Re: ASP pages do not display
              mtrueblood Level 1
              DSN I used when developing my site was "SiteName" and the connection name was and still is "connSiteName". I had my database stored in a folder called "database", but goDaddy wants it stored in "access_db". I made the modifications withing my site locally so that the database now is stored in "access_db" and online with GoDaddy. They have created a DSN for me with the name of "access_SiteName.dsn". I guess here is where I get a little lost.

Thanks - Matt
              • 4. Re: ASP pages do not display
                mtrueblood Level 1
                I can send code if needed....

Thanks - Matt
                • 5. Re: ASP pages do not display
                  Level 7
                  Where GD puts the database would be irrelevant if they created the DSN for
                  you. You need to use their DSN when you create the connection to the
                  Database in DW. I'm thinking that you are still trying to connect using
                  your local DSN.

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                  ==================
                  http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  ==================

"mtrueblood" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:gjlcni$526$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > DSN I used when developing my site was "SiteName" and the connection name
                  > was
                  > and still is "connSiteName". I had my database stored in a folder called
                  > "database", but goDaddy wants it stored in "access_db". I made the
                  > modifications withing my site locally so that the database now is stored
                  > in
                  > "access_db" and online with GoDaddy. They have created a DSN for me with
                  > the
                  > name of "access_SiteName.dsn". I guess here is where I get a little lost.
                  >
                  > Thanks - Matt
                  >

• 6. Re: ASP pages do not display
                    mtrueblood Level 1
                    Here is the code to my connections file. The connection file given to me from GD is access_name.dsn.

<%
                    // FileName="Connection_odbc_conn_dsn.htm"
                    // Type="ADO"
                    // DesigntimeType="ADO"
                    // HTTP="false"
                    // Catalog=""
                    // Schema=""
                    Dim MM_connName_STRING
                    MM_connName_STRING = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=siteroot/access_db/filename.mdb"
                    %>

I believe I am now using the new DSN name given to me from GD. I could be wrong though.

Thanks - Matt
                    • 7. Re: ASP pages do not display
                      mtrueblood Level 1
                      I apologize, GD didn't give me a connection file. They gave me a DSN of access_name.dsn.

Thanks - Matt
                      • 8. Re: ASP pages do not display
                        bregent Most Valuable Participant
                        You are confusing DSN with DSN-less connections. There are valid reasons for using either. The example connection string you provided is for a dsn-less connection which means you do not need to create a DSN on your local machine or remote host. Which type of connection are you trying to create?
                        • 9. Re: ASP pages do not display
                          mtrueblood Level 1
                          Thanks. I am trying to create a connection with a DSN I was given. I created my site on my local machine using my own DSN. Once I was ready to launch my site to GoDaddy, I was given a different DSN to use with my site. Which means I have to go back and change my connection.asp page. I have used the new DSN GoDaddy has given me, and my site still does not work. I have the following code in my connection.asp page:

<%
                          ' FileName="Connection_odbc_conn_dsn.htm"
                          ' Type="ADO"
                          ' DesigntimeType="ADO"
                          ' HTTP="true"
                          ' Catalog=""
                          ' Schema=""
                          Dim MM_connNAME_STRING
                          MM_connNAME_STRING = "dsn=access_name.dsn;"
                          %>

*Do I need something in there for a username and password?

I believe I have the right combination, but I am getting this error now:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
                          [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified
                          /sitename/contactus/index.asp, line 130

line 129
                          Set rs_contactus = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

line 130
                          rs_contactus.ActiveConnection = MM_connNAME_STRING

line 131
                          rs_contactus.Source = "SELECT * FROM tbl_contactus ORDER BY ID DESC"

Please help!

Thanks - Matt
                          • 10. Re: ASP pages do not display
                            >Dim MM_connNAME_STRING
                            >MM_connNAME_STRING = "dsn=access_name.dsn;"

OK, it looks like they might have created a FILE DSN as opposed to a system dsn (you could have done that yourself). Did they tell you the path of the dsn file? You mentioned something about "access_db". Is this a path on your server? Is there a file in there called "access_name.dsn"? Keep in mind that the tech support folks at GD usually don't have a clue. I can't think of any reason to use them for hosting, other than they are cheap. But you get less than what you pay for. Good luck.
                            • 11. Re: ASP pages do not display
                              Also, what is your reason for choosing a DSN connection over a DSN-less connection? Most of the time you will be better of using DSN-less.
                              • 12. Re: ASP pages do not display
                                mtrueblood Level 1
                                Thanks for the reply...

Since I had an access database within my site, I had to enable access support which creats an "access_db" folder and a DSN name of "access_name.dsn". My database must be stored in "access_db" (which it is now) and my dynamic pages must reflect the dsn of "access_name.dsn".

GD tech support will not help me out at all. I have read through so many blogs and forums. I am not sure if they told me the path of the dsn file... At this point, I am not sure where to go. I have tried almost everything.

Thanks - Matt
                                • 13. Re: ASP pages do not display
                                  mtrueblood Level 1
                                  This is my first site that has connectivity to a database. Didn't know which was better; dsn or dsn less. I guess I am learning though...
                                  • 14. Re: ASP pages do not display
                                    >I am not sure if they told me the path of the dsn file... At this point,
                                    >I am not sure where to go. I have tried almost everything.

I would suggest using a dsn-less connection - they are much faster than dsn which uses odbc.
                                    • 15. Re: ASP pages do not display
                                      mtrueblood Level 1
                                      Well I walked through a tutorial on how to set up a DSN connection. Would you know the location of some tutorials on how to set up a DSN-less connection? How much of site will have to change?

I appreciate your help!

Thanks - Matt
                                      • 16. Re: ASP pages do not display
                                        You already create a dsn-less connection which you included in one of your previous posts:<%
                                        // FileName="Connection_odbc_conn_dsn.htm"
                                        // Type="ADO"
                                        // DesigntimeType="ADO"
                                        // HTTP="false"
                                        // Catalog=""
                                        // Schema=""
                                        Dim MM_connName_STRING
                                        MM_connName_STRING = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=siteroot/access_db/filename.mdb"
                                        %>

The problem is with this part: DBQ=siteroot/access_db/filename.mdb
                                        I believe this needs to actually be the server root. If you know what that is, then you need to change it - for example DBQ=c:\mysite\access_db\filename.mdb

But a better way is to use the Server.Mappath function, like this:

MM_connName_STRING = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=" & Server.Mappath("/access_db/filename.mdb")
                                        • 17. Re: ASP pages do not display
                                          Level 7
                                          mtrueblood wrote:
                                          > Thanks. I am trying to create a connection with a DSN I was given. I created my
                                          > site on my local machine using my own DSN. Once I was ready to launch my site
                                          > to GoDaddy, I was given a different DSN to use with my site. Which means I have
                                          > to go back and change my connection.asp page. I have used the new DSN GoDaddy
                                          > has given me, and my site still does not work. I have the following code in my
                                          > connection.asp page:
                                          >
                                          > <%
                                          > ' FileName="Connection_odbc_conn_dsn.htm"
                                          > ' Type="ADO"
                                          > ' DesigntimeType="ADO"
                                          > ' HTTP="true"
                                          > ' Catalog=""
                                          > ' Schema=""
                                          > Dim MM_connNAME_STRING
                                          > MM_connNAME_STRING = "dsn=access_name.dsn;"
                                          > %>

If your using a file DSN you should have this:

MM_connNAME_STRING =
                                          "FILEDSN=C:\whatever\the\path\is\access_name.dsn;Uid:yourUsername;Pwd:yourPassword"

Dooza