1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 27, 2008 9:46 AM by Newsgroup_User

SWF cache problem - strange behaviours!

Rajeev_VM
      Hi,

I am currently involved in a Flash widget project (AS 2.0 - WinXP OS - IE 6.0) which has the following functionalities.

1) Set the BG style of the application - using FlashVars - argument passing thrgh HTML to SWF
      2) Make HTTP calls and retrieves data (in XML format), do actions as per the data

We're facing few performance related issues and seeing some strange behaviors from the right beginning.

First of all, what ever changes we make and deploy, it takes long amount of time (sometimes more than a day) to get it reflected! This time varies across PCs and some of them didn't even show the result. Even after 2-3 days!!! We did clear all cache and tried several times. But, no use. Is it related to the 'browser-swf' cache?

From other forums, I came to know that this's a general issue and so many people pointed it. But, no one talked about a solution! We cannot deliver the project in this shape and can't ask the users to clear their cache each time they uses the application. Is there a way to sort out this issue?

We've deployed the application in two different locations in which one is a test environment. Both have different versions running and pointing to different URLs. Interestingly if it stops working on the testing server site, it also stops on the proper site - yet they are on different servers!

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance...
      Rajeev VM
        • 1. Re: SWF cache problem - strange behaviours!
          Level 7
          Rajeev VM wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I am currently involved in a Flash widget project (AS 2.0 - WinXP OS - IE 6.0)
          > which has the following functionalities.
          >
          > 1) Set the BG style of the application - using FlashVars - argument passing
          > thrgh HTML to SWF
          > 2) Make HTTP calls and retrieves data (in XML format), do actions as per the
          > data
          >
          > We're facing few performance related issues and seeing some strange behaviors
          > from the right beginning.
          >
          > First of all, what ever changes we make and deploy, it takes long amount of
          > time (sometimes more than a day) to get it reflected! This time varies across
          > PCs and some of them didn't even show the result. Even after 2-3 days!!! We did
          > clear all cache and tried several times. But, no use. Is it related to the
          > 'browser-swf' cache?

Could be that perhaps your ISP is caching ?
          Don't know about nowadays but I remember that issue while ago with AOL and Compuserve,
          they kept cache for a very long time, sometimes even more than 24 hours. Perhaps some
          ISPs still practice that to reduce bandwidth use?

> From other forums, I came to know that this's a general issue and so many
          > people pointed it. But, no one talked about a solution! We cannot deliver the
          > project in this shape and can't ask the users to clear their cache each time
          > they uses the application. Is there a way to sort out this issue?

Use random string to load xml files to force new file off the server each time.

--
          Best Regards

Urami

--
          "Never play Leap-Frog with a Unicorn."

<urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>