• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH2017 Responsive HTML5 Search Not Searching SubProjects

Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just recently installed the RH2017 upgrade from RH2015. The new Responsive HTML5 Indigo "search" works fine on a single project. However, when I am testing my merged Master/Parent project, the search results do not return anything from the linked/child projects connected to it. This sort of defeats the purpose of using it for a help system. 

Has anyone else encountered this?

Is there a setting I'm missing?

I've been over the layout settings several times and while I can change all sorts of cosmetic things, I do not see anything about enabling the search for child project files.

I admit I have been using this same file structure for many years. If there is a better suggestion for merging 100+ projects, I'm open to ideas! Ultimately, I just want to let my end-users search for their information more effectively.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Hi, Peter,

I'm sorry it's taken so long to finish testing this. I was waiting for the current release to be done so I could concentrate on it.

I have figured out what I was doing wrong. It seems that every merged project nested in the TOC must be generated with the exact same Output. So, each sub-project has to be opened, a new layout created, and the files generated to the correct location for it all to display. It's time consuming, but it works.

If this was mentioned before, I never understood

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry that it has taken me a while to answer this.

I just tested with the same layout and the search is working just fine. Try downloading the merged help demo from my site and upgrading it to RoboHelp2017. See if that works and we can take it from there.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2017 Apr 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dawn

Did you get this working?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Peter, thank you for checking. I'm actually testing this this morning (I got caught on some end-of-release work last week). I will let you know. I also thought I may need to test on my VM/IIS server and see if it's something about running this locally on my machine. That has happened to me before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Peter,

Well, I'm stumped. Using your test file and keeping all the settings as downloaded in the test file, I'm getting different results. If I generate standard Webhelp, the TOC displays fine: (using Chrome)

If I generate either of the HTML5 layouts, the TOC is not displaying (also Chrome):

Firefox doesn't display the TOC in either layout. I made sure to clear the history before retesting. I also generated each of the child projects using HTML5 as well, though I don't think that should matter.

I copied the files to my IIS server to see if there was something about running it locally, but I no TOC displayed that way either, nor any results in searching for "child":

I can send you how my master/parent project looks, if you think that might be helpful. Any other thoughts?

FYI: I'm sending my current release out with the standard Webhelp, so I'm not in a great rush to get this solved, but really do want to do this for the next release; it's such a great feature.

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me do a bit more testing including with Chrome. I'll get back to you.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just test the older layouts and Indigo in Chrome and they are working correctly.

See the Contact page on my site and send the whole merge setup as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Peter,

I'm sorry it's taken so long to finish testing this. I was waiting for the current release to be done so I could concentrate on it.

I have figured out what I was doing wrong. It seems that every merged project nested in the TOC must be generated with the exact same Output. So, each sub-project has to be opened, a new layout created, and the files generated to the correct location for it all to display. It's time consuming, but it works.

If this was mentioned before, I never understood it. I had thought that a merged system could pick up and display the files, regardless, but they must all be in the same layout.

Thanks again for taking the time to test and assist.

Dawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2017 Jul 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad you figured it out.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp